PrEP and Type One Diabetes?

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey I was wondering if anyone has started to use PrEP and living with T1D?
As I am a Gay man I want to explore options with medications to help protect myself and PrEP has been mentioned.
I can't find any information online about the effects it has on T1D.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,

Just had a look at what PREP is..?
What I've seen that "stands out" regarding the drug is the "kidney function" must be normal, should one decicide to take the drug as a prevention.?
Looks like there a fair few health checks, some of which would be covered in your D check up. (Kidney function.)
Other tests would involve regular visits to an STD clinic for evaluation too. (From what I've seen.)

Regarding the "sexual health" side of stuff? I've personally found these clinics & tests more "companionate" than my diabetes team? ;) (Long story involving a disgruntled/malicious ex with a nasty SOH.)
At the end of the day, the blurb I've seen still recommends traditional "barrier" use during sex In conjunction with the meds. (Condoms.)

Have you asked your GP, regarding PREP?

Hope this helps.

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there,

Just had a look at what PREP is..?
What I've seen that "stands out" regarding the drug is the "kidney function" must be normal, should one decicide to take the drug as a prevention.?
Looks like there a fair few health checks, some of which would be covered in your D check up. (Kidney function.)
Other tests would involve regular visits to an STD clinic for evaluation too. (From what I've seen.)

Regarding the "sexual health" side of stuff? I've personally found these clinics & tests more "companionate" than my diabetes team? ;) (Long story involving a disgruntled/malicious ex with a nasty SOH.)
At the end of the day, the blurb I've seen still recommends traditional "barrier" use during sex In conjunction with the meds. (Condoms.)

Have you asked your GP, regarding PREP?

Hope this helps.
I haven't spoken to my team or anyone about it as of yet, I just wanted to see if anyone with T1D was using it.
I know they do tests to check kindey/liver because it can have an effect on them but so can other medicines such as parocetmal ect.
Just gonna speak to a prep consultant when I have an appointment ^^.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Type1Lad - I thought of you when this popped up on my Twitter thread. I follow the BMJ.

https://www.bmj.com/content/363/bmj.k4382

The full article is behind their member sign in, but there are likely to be other sources of the paper on the internet, including the Lancet HIV. I hope you can find the full paper.

Good luck with it all.

Edited to add the url - apologies.

Last edited: