Prescription exemption certificate

Kazza63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ha a letter today to renew my certificate and warned not to sign a prescription till I get a new one. Why don't they just give me a lifetime certificate, it's not like I am going to get better

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 6 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
it is a great question --
government policy + common sense = zero :eek:

Reactions: 5 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If you use the same pharmacy for filling the prescription, they should know you have exemption. Mine never ask to see my exemption card. But I am over 60 so I am exempt anyway.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ha a letter today to renew my certificate and warned not to sign a prescription till I get a new one. Why don't they just give me a lifetime certificate, it's not like I am going to get better

It is crazy that they only last 5 years considering we have a life-long condition.

The turnaround for renewal is quite quick mind, sure mine took about 7-10 days last time I renewed.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't qualify for any exemptions, and never have done, since I was a minor.

I think some of this is about data, and if lifelong exemptions are issued, they would have no idea when certificates should be cancelled, which could skew the data reported.

Current messaging from the NHS still states that "diabetes is a life-long, progressive disease", which we now better appreciate is not necessarily the case for T2 at least. There would be many caveats to the awarding of exemption certificates, with the need to differentiate between types and potentially even sub-types. We already see many T2s who start on Metformin (and therefore qualify for an exemption) later go on to be able to cease their pharmaceutical support, and therefore lose their exempted status at the renewal point. As 90% of diabetes patients are T2, there would still be a need to validate for 90% of those registered as diabetic. (OK, I know not all 90% are on medication, but you get the drift)

So, I'm not sure I see the application system becoming more administratively heavy for a relatively small proportion of claimants who would or could be lifelong happening.

Of course, this could be a completely wrong conclusion, but it's just a take from the administrative side of things.

In case this sounds like sour grapes because I don't qualify; it's not. I am eternally grateful to be able to live a vibrant and healthy life without the need for any medication whatsoever. When I click over the big 6-0, I guess I'll qualify just on chronology. Until then, it's a goal to continue to be disqualified from exemptions. :)

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum
If your current exemption is still in date then use it as normal. It only takes a couple of days for a replacement to be sent out.

On collecting my prescription yesterday there was a notice on the counter requesting that people bring in their exemption cert due to the government cracking down on fraud in the NHS.

anthony1961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had diabetes type 1 for 39 years , I remember receiving an exemption cert back then , but have never renewed or recieved a new one . Could it be that , all them years ago , I may of been issued a lifetime exemption certificate

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I've had diabetes type 1 for 39 years , I remember receiving an exemption cert back then , but have never renewed or recieved a new one . Could it be that , all them years ago , I may of been issued a lifetime exemption certificate
No it just means you are open to a hefty fine and back payment of prescription costs. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/prescription-fine.68038/ I've had type 1 for almost 52 yeas and have always known about the certificates since the age of 18.
So if I were you I would be getting the form filled in by your GP very quickly and sent off unless you are exempt for benefit reasons.

anthony1961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I am in exactly the same position, o got issues with one when I was 16 (19 years ago for me) I have no ide where the card is, and have never been asked for one, until last week.
The chemist is the same chemist I have used for years, and they said they are clamping down as when they put the claim in for our prescriptions they get asked for the exemption number, and if they don't have it and date of expiry they may struggle to get the funds.

Does anyone know how or where I apply for a new one?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am in exactly the same position, o got issues with one when I was 16 (19 years ago for me) I have no ide where the card is, and have never been asked for one, until last week.
The chemist is the same chemist I have used for years, and they said they are clamping down as when they put the claim in for our prescriptions they get asked for the exemption number, and if they don't have it and date of expiry they may struggle to get the funds.

Does anyone know how or where I apply for a new one?

I filled a form in at the Docs, might have been the dispensary part, cant remember. Paid for the script, asked foe and was given a receipt, then claimed a refund when the card came

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Your GP needs to fill in and sign the form for you and send it off.

The diabetes nurse (at my gp practise) filled my last form in and signed it, it must be allowed as it was never queried.

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm seeing DSN next week- so will ask her. Thanks

anthony1961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just went to my doctors to fill in form , very simple , just name address and nhs number , your doctor then signs it , and sends it off for you .

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Maybe they know something we don't...maybe that long awaited cure really is just around the corner???

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mines expired for a few weeks now, but I am still eligible for free prescriptions due to low income, which does require a bit more paperwork, but i've not been bothered by the chemist, I tick the certificate option though still.

alison.81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you use the same pharmacy they should take the number off your exemption card and then they won't ask for it again. I always take my card with me just in case they ever ask for it, I would rather have it and not need to show it than not take it and someone new saying I need to see your card. It once happened to me, I walked in gave her my prescription and she said I need to see your card. I said I hadn't got it on me but I definitely have one and besides I am on Levothyroxine for my underactive thyroid. She then started shouting at me saying it's fraud you are committing if you can't show me your card etc. Just then a man who worked there recognised me and said she has been coming here for years..... I was like YAY.

EDIT: You would think that if someone has insulin or any of the drugs that are the ones who are exempt conditions the pharmacy would not even question it but I suppose it is one of the things they have to do for proof and so they don't get into trouble or something.

They give it every 5 years until you turn 60. One of my colleagues is 58 and they have just given her one that lasts until her 60th birthday!

anthony1961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why is it that expiry of certificate is 5 years or 60 whatever comes first . Does everyone get free prescriptions from age 60