Prescription exemption

Cookie02392

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All,

I was diagnosed T2 in February 2016, and luckily have come through the Metformin side effects (blurred vision etc) and am now stable routinely having BG between 5.2 and 6.4 regardless of my testing times.

It wasn't obvious to me to start with that because my diabetes management was through oral drugs, (2x Metformin twice daily, 1x Advorstatin daily) that the NHS covered the prescription costs under medical exemption.

I wasn't informed by the hospital, my GP practice or Diabetic Nurse that the cost of medication could be covered under the NHS exemption.

My EC92A exemption certificate came through today, and all I needed to do was ask at my GP surgery for the form, which took a couple of minutes to complete, the doctor then signed it, was processed, and the certificate received in around 7 days.

I think every newly diagnosed Diabetic should know about this, the first 2 months worth of prescriptions cost me nearly £38.00 so it's worth pursuing. Shame my practice will not cover test equipment, but I now know if I continue to be strict, excercise ( brisk walk for 30 minutes 4 times a week) I can manage my confusion.

The below link is the source of information for the exemption, with confirmation diabetes is covered:

[http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1126.aspx...om/byo?rid=67]Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've had the information for over 20 years and they only last for 5 year the certificates which you have to keep going back to renew so don't forget about that as you will need to fill out the form again

Reactions: 2 people

Cookie02392

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've had the information for over 20 years and they only last for 5 year the certificates which you have to keep going back to renew so don't forget about that as you will need to fill out the form again
Hi

The point I was making was that it's not openly suggested at the point of diagnosis, certainly was not mentioned by anyone to me in my PCT, GP or otherwise.

Cost of changing diet and test Metres, strips etc.. was a bit of a shock, so all the newly diagnosed people that don't know, because they were not told should be made aware.

I wonder if Daisy might append the info to the fact sheet for newly diagnosed members?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yeah I know as you have to ask a lot of questions just to get one answer which is the same as when you are first diagnosed as a diabetic as that's what it was like for me about 24 years ago and I can still remember that day and I never knew about it until I seen the dsn the first time in a couple of days of being out of hospital and they told me how to do it and send off for it via the gp as they send it away for you and you wait for it but you still can get your medication without it for a week or two and when you get it just pass it to the pharmacy and they take the number and when your medication is due to be done by the gp they collect it from them and make it up for you and fill out the prescription so you don't need to worry about it and you can either have it delivered to your home or you can collect it from the pharmacy.

This information should be able to all new diabetics but it never gets out there until you are not talking about it and someone else tells you about it when you least expect it

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I do have one more thing to add if you see a blood meter outside in the shop or pharmacist shelves go on the Internet and to their own websites and you may get a free blood meter from them as that is what I did a few weeks ago from Bayer and got the contour next usb meter from them which is rechargeable and you are able to log insulin and carbs into it

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Interesting. When I was first diagnosed but they did not know what type I was I went for a prescription and asked how to apply for exemption. The pharmacy assistant told me that if I was type 1 I could apply but if type 2 I couldn't. Guess pharmacy staff need educating too!

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You just tell them that you don't know and your doctor will sort it out for you just you need to get the form as the doctor has asked you to get it that is how I got my first one and now they don't ask me as they already know and I fill it out as I wait for my prescription and then nip to the doctors to hand in the form and that is it done but I have done it with other pharmacies and they just hand me the form over as I know what I am asking for plus I have a certificate on me to prove that I am able to get it so I don't have the problem even if I was type 1 but I am type 2 and that is what I will always be

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's not just diabetics that get it as you also get it if you have epilepsy and a few other conditions but at least you now know that you can get all your medication for free

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not just diabetics that get it as you also get it if you have epilepsy and a few other conditions but at least you now know that you can get all your medication for free
I get an exemption because I am on Thyroid treatment but, strangely, my husband who needs heart pills and is on Warfarin for life does not!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... but I now know if I continue to be strict, excercise ( brisk walk for 30 minutes 4 times a week) I can manage my confusion.
That did make me smile. :p:D

Me too, I got a real fit of the giggles - but I don't manage my confusion too well - maybe because I'm a rather lazy OAP? :wideyed: Though the diabetes management isn't too bad! But I do get my prescriptions free due to my state of ancient decrepitude.

Something else that's worth knowing is that if you're not eligible for free prescriptions, you can apply for a prepayment certificate, and this (if you can afford the initial outlay) is a good cost saving option when you need multiple items every month. I did this for many years pre-retirement and it saved me a small fortune. So it's worth investigating.

Robbity

PS: And thank you for making me smile after a rather miserable day. :p:p