1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Prescriptions

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Matthew-G-Bell, May 26, 2016.

1. Matthew-G-Bell

Matthew-G-Bell Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey all, I haven't posted here in a while, been really busy with exams recently!

It is my birthday today (hooray!) - and while I am still 2 years from being 18, I was wondering if I will have to pay for prescriptions (test strips, insulin, needles etc) when I turn 18, and if so, how much will this cost?

I live in England, specifically Essex.

Thanks
    -Matt

2. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Matt, your prescriptions will be free as long as you fill in the form to obtain an exemption certificate.
    Very Happy Birthday as well :)

3. Matthew-G-Bell

Matthew-G-Bell Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for the birthday wish - I was under the impression it was free however I have heard mixed information, and as such wanted to check - I will of course speak to the team closer to the time, just wanted a rough idea.

4. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes prescriptions are free as long as you have an exemption certificate. The certificate costs nothing. All that happens is you ask your GP to fill in and sign the form, they send it off and you receive a credit card size bit of plastic to show the pharmacy staff if requested. The exemption is not automatic you have to apply for it and renew the exemption every 5 years.

5. Munsa

Munsa Type 1 · Member

Come north of the border and you won't even have to fill in an exemption certificate! Happy birthday x

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Shar67

Shar67 · Guest

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook