Private Diabetes Consultant London Type 1

Labradorlover

My daughter 21 is really struggling to control her type 1 diabetes the heat is not helping. She is having horrendous scary hypos. Her appointments at the hospital with consultant keep getting postponed and she is desperate to get some advice (GP knows less than her) from an expert. Just had a letter saying NHS appointment postponed until October!
Can anyone recommend a private consultant we could see on a one off basis for some advice? Many thanks LL

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My daughter 21 is really struggling to control her type 1 diabetes the heat is not helping. She is having horrendous scary hypos. Her appointments at the hospital with consultant keep getting postponed and she is desperate to get some advice (GP knows less than her) from an expert. Just had a letter saying NHS appointment postponed until October!
Can anyone recommend a private consultant we could see on a one off basis for some advice? Many thanks LL

If your daughter like the consultant she usually sees, she could see him/her, provided they do private work. If you just google their name, usually their private locations (BUPA or Spire hospitals, for example) will come up. Most do some private work, although the chap I wanted to use (and did) only does one private session a month, but for me, he was worth that wait.

Although the chap I was seeing is and Endo, I wasn't seeing him for diabetes.

Reactions: Jaylee

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Has she done the usual stuff like reducing her basal rate?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Labradorlover ,

Welcome to the forum.

The heat can make one insulin sensitive.

The other thing that springs to mind. How long has your daughter been diagnosed T1? If recently? The "honeymoon" period, where the pancreas splitters out spasmodically a little of it's own insulin as a "swan song" could be a probable issue..?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @Labradorlover , I think docs sometimes assume that after a while T1s know the basic rules of the game, but it's surprising how often we don't.

I was unaware of many of them until I went on a DAFNE course. There's some blindingly obvious basic rules, once they are pointed out, but it's all too easy in the current system for them to be missed on the assumption that the T1 already knows them.

Personally, I wouldn't waste any money on a private consultant.

This is my take on basic rules, none of which involves paying money to a tube wearing an expensive suit who has read about hypos in books but never actually experienced one:

Get basal dose set right. Basal is meant to hold us steady between meals. If it's not set right, the whole of the rest of the show is a house built on sand - too high, we'll be feeding to stop drops, too low, we'll be bolusing with fast acting to stop rises.

It can be tested by not eating for 8 or so hours while relaxing and watching to see if it generally holds steady.

We can't advise on dosing but all the manufacturers publish starting points. Lantus, for example, suggests weight in kilos divided by 5. There's a surprising number of people have posted about bad experiences, and you then look at their weight and dosage and think ***, that's out by orders of magnitude.

Next rule up is the effect of 1u and 10g. As a very general guide, courses like DAFNE will say that 1u will drop by 2 to 3 and 10g will raise by 2 to 3. So, they say that, generally speaking, we need 1u for every 10g.

But that's a general rule - works for some, doesn't work for all. I, for example, use 1u for every 7g.

This takes a bit of time to experiment with, but it's well worth doing, because it takes the guess work out of it.

Wait until steady, eat 10g, see how much it raises her before steadying.

Wait till steady, inject 1u, wait to see how much it drops before steadying off.

Doing that sort of stuff, tedious though it is, will give a much clearer idea of how to balance insulin and food.

There's quite a few other factors to balance in to a dosing decision - amount of exercise past and future, whether trending up or down, any iob from a past dose etc. etc. - but that basic relationship between 1u and 10g is something well worthwhile learning as a starting point, and then adjust from there.

And she can cheat a lot with libre. It's still a postcode lottery at the moment, but more and more health areas are putting it on prescription. If not, it's about £70 per month if you've got a co-operative Superdrug pharmacy nearby.

We're having to deal with constantly moving blood sugar levels, 24 hours a day. Strips don't let you see those, they just give little snapshots of a moment in time, which is why a lot of us end up burned out and not caring.

Libre is a small sensor popped on top of the arm which reads levels continuously, so we can see where our levels have been, where they might be going, and take small, subtle steps to bring them back into line without any drama.

It makes managing T1 significantly easier, because we can now see in more or less real time what we are dealing with. It makes all those basal and 1u, 10g tests I mentioned above way easier.

There's also some decent books, all on kindle:

Think Like a Pancreas, Gary Scheiner

Sugar Surfing, Stephen Ponder

Beyond Fingersticks, William Lee Dubois

I was 21 when I was dx'd. Had a few bad times in the first few years, got through it. Your kid will be fine.

Labradorlover

Scott C thank you. She was diagnosed 10 years ago and I think she needs to go back to basics as you suggest. She has a libre (self funded atm) which has been a life changer for her . She was a child when diagnosed and I had more input.. hard now not to nag her! But she has reached out for my help this time so we will get the books out and start from scratch as you suggest! I think I agree with you about seeing a consultant... we will try this first. Thank you everyone!

Liftupjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I find the same problem always cancel my appointment at last min and my doctors diabetic nurse is useless. But I do have a fantastic hospital diabetic nurse that I can e mail at any time and she always gets back to me with advice and help. I’m at Stoke Mand Hospital .