Probiotics and pancreatitis

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
At my last consultant's appointment, I was advised to drink Actimel for a month, for its probiotic properties (I'd complained about too much burping, which was often painful). The HPB consultant and dietitian thought this would help because I'd earlier been on strong antibiotics which would have killed my natural intestinal bacteria. I was sceptical having read that stomach acid kills the bacteria in yoghurt drinks, but it definitely helped and I continued drinking Actimel until recently.

The burping has starting to recur, so I thought I'd try probiotic tablets this time (mainly because Actimel contains 12g carbs, mostly sugar, that I thought I could avoid). I bought tablets from Optibac, which contain a range of live cultures. However, there's a warning on a leaflet inside the box stating "live cultures are not recommended for those with serious medical conditions e.g. pancreatitis etc., unless under a doctor's care".

I'm returning the Optibac tablets to the shop unused; although I may technically be under a doctor's care and advised to take a specified probiotic, I'd rather not risk the unknown side effects (pancreatitis has already damaged my stomach and duodenum). I'll try the Actimel again and discuss it with the consultant, but that won't be for a while.

Has anyone else had problems with excessive or painful burping and have probiotics helped?

P.s. Their other suggestion was to stop taking anti-acid pills (Omeprazole), but that just made me nauseous.

A

asparagusp

Interesting article - 'I wouldn't buy them' Scientists blast 'waste of money' probiotics that do NOTHING

probiotic-509785.jpg

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style...asting-millions-of-pounds-of-probiotic-drinks

A

asparagusp

Fermented vegetables like sauerkraut are extremely rich in probiotics - probiotics sauerkraut

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Thanks @asparagusp

I had seen similar articles, but as I said, the Actimel was recommended and it seemed to work - can't be sure it wasn't a placebo effect of course.

I hadn't thought of sauerkraut, so that would be worth trying - thank you. Google recommends I find the raw version, rather than the processed/pasteurised type normally sold in supermarkets. (There's a Polish deli near work that may sell it raw.)

Kimchi seems to be the trendy food at present, but I can't tolerate anything spicy.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Be very careful with the raw sauerkraut if you haven't had it before - I've read recommendations about starting off with just a teaspoon of the juice or less. I keep trying with the stuff, but even the smallest amount makes my stomach bloat and gives me lots of gas :(

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Indy51 Thanks for the warning!

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Everyone: thanks for your advice, but the burping and abdomen pain became significantly worse overnight and I started vomiting whilst at work today.

Therefore, there could be something more serious happening or hopefully it's just a stomach bug. I've managed to get an appointment to see my consultant on Thursday so I'll get his advice, meantime I won't be making any changes.

sofy

At my last consultant's appointment, I was advised to drink Actimel for a month, for its probiotic properties (I'd complained about too much burping, which was often painful). The HPB consultant and dietitian thought this would help because I'd earlier been on strong antibiotics which would have killed my natural intestinal bacteria. I was sceptical having read that stomach acid kills the bacteria in yoghurt drinks, but it definitely helped and I continued drinking Actimel until recently.

The burping has starting to recur, so I thought I'd try probiotic tablets this time (mainly because Actimel contains 12g carbs, mostly sugar, that I thought I could avoid). I bought tablets from Optibac, which contain a range of live cultures. However, there's a warning on a leaflet inside the box stating "live cultures are not recommended for those with serious medical conditions e.g. pancreatitis etc., unless under a doctor's care".

I'm returning the Optibac tablets to the shop unused; although I may technically be under a doctor's care and advised to take a specified probiotic, I'd rather not risk the unknown side effects (pancreatitis has already damaged my stomach and duodenum). I'll try the Actimel again and discuss it with the consultant, but that won't be for a while.

Has anyone else had problems with excessive or painful burping and have probiotics helped?

P.s. Their other suggestion was to stop taking anti-acid pills (Omeprazole), but that just made me nauseous.