Problem renewing driving license

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I renewed my 3 year licence, (because of age not medical reasons) I did it online and it came back the same week. No use to the OP but that's obviously the best way if you can.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I don’t think I do, if you have it that would be great otherwise I'll look it up.
DVLA medical number. 0300 790 6806

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
DVLA medical number. 0300 790 6806
Many thanks, really appreciate your trouble, I think I have tried that one with the blanket response of basically ‘don't bother, we're too busy’ but will give it a go again tomorrow and report back.

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nope! ‘All lines are busy, please look on line or try later’. The ‘try later’ is admittedly an improvement.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Nope! ‘All lines are busy, please look on line or try later’. The ‘try later’ is admittedly an improvement.
Hi I renewed my licence in July, I had misplaced it, spent hours looking for it. Gave up and requested a lost and please renew. Heard nothing for weeks, then found my licence! Renewed online, then they wrote asking for me to send it in and renew via paper application Finally received my licence end of September. Couldn’t get through via phone and online chat always unavailable. Someone obviously finally had looked at what had gone on judging by the letter.

Reactions: JaneC

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just want to update you on my original post. Having sent off a paper renewal to DVLA on 9th Sept and followed that up with a fresh on line application two weeks ago I've received two letters in the post today, one to say I'd be receiving my license in 2 to 3 weeks time, the medical check up now completed. The second letter had my new license in so hooray, am legally driving again!

Reactions: urbanracer

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Still haven't received my renewal letter for my medical driving licence. Can't do it online because of having more than 1 medical condition. I assume my renewal letter either hasn't been sent yet, or is sitting in the backlog of post thanks to Royal Mail. Just wondering what I can do?

ealingr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Still haven't received my renewal letter for my medical driving licence. Can't do it online because of having more than 1 medical condition. I assume my renewal letter either hasn't been sent yet, or is sitting in the backlog of post thanks to Royal Mail. Just wondering what I can do?

In case it helps, the DVLA website says:

"You can also renew your short-term medical driving licence by post. DVLA will send you a renewal reminder 90 days before your licence expires.

If you do not receive a reminder, you should order form D1 and download and fill in the medical forms for your condition. Send them all to DVLA - the address is on the forms."

I think it is very poor that DVLA have chosen only to make some of their medical renewal forms available for online applications. There is no justifiable reason why those with multiple medical conditions should be forced into a months long process - just make the entirety of the forms available for online applications.

Reactions: Hopeful34

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In case it helps, the DVLA website says:

"You can also renew your short-term medical driving licence by post. DVLA will send you a renewal reminder 90 days before your licence expires.

If you do not receive a reminder, you should order form D1 and download and fill in the medical forms for your condition. Send them all to DVLA - the address is on the forms."

I think it is very poor that DVLA have chosen only to make some of their medical renewal forms available for online applications. There is no justifiable reason why those with multiple medical conditions should be forced into a months long process - just make the entirety of the forms available for online applications.
Thank you for posting, have to say I agree, especially when one condition has caused the other, so some info is duplicated.

In the end I got the D1 form from the post office, because of the delays with mail being delivered, and downloaded the medical forms from the website. Found it strange that the downloaded medical forms were older versions than the ones I filled in 3 years ago. Just hope they accept them!!