1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Problem with Novo Pen

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Copernicus, Jul 12, 2017.

1. DobbieTheElf

DobbieTheElf Type 1 · Member

I recently had this with my novopen echo. I find that changing the needle or simply unscrewing it and then putting it back on helps. If this keeps on happening, order a new one from the hospital that you have your appointments at. Or just get an echo or a 5 lol

2. steve_p6

steve_p6 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Found it - tel: 01293 613555, they will put through to Switchboard - "select option 1". = "They now have 4 skins available for Free, in the UK = Orange, Green, Butterflies, Footballs. [​IMG]

3. Zilsniggy

Zilsniggy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I recently had this with a NovoRapid pen. Despite changing needles couldn't get it to work at all, catastrophic failure of mechanism. Took it to the pharmacist who supplies my prescription and it was replaced, no quibbles, so guess this is a recognised issue. In Scotland you can get an emergency supply of medication from a pharmacy anywhere at the discretion of the pharmacist, there must be a similar system available in England. They contact your GP, usually for confirmation of your prescription. You can also contact NHS 24 in Scotland out of hours, and get a emergency prescription issued and filled at a late night pharmacy or at the out of hours centre you visit.

4. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Got to be 1/2 unit. Silver ones arent. Only full units..(I believe)...

I have plasters stuck on them with tresiba or insulatard written on them and inside case but at 4am I am not fully with it or 8am to be honest..

Ev night they are lined up in order with daily book saying how much to take for each.

I've had to take so many different regimes in past 10 months that its been hard unless I write down and leave so I can see what I'm meant to take.

• Hug Hug x 1
  5. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Just be safe @donnellysdogs and do whatever you have to do. As a side I took a small dose at 6:15 and stopped the rise. Though I am also getting into the end of a gum infection. But it worked!

• Like Like x 1
  6. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Wish I could get to 6.15 without rising too high even by that time. My insukatard shot is good then though as it isnt working too quickly like a bolus shot did. It also kicks in 4 hours later working peak to 8hrs later which helps the rises I get from 8am and therefore need smaller amount of bolus.

Going back to my pen snapping. I thought it had a problem for a couple weeks before but had never experienced a pen failure before so actually put it down to my body, not the pen... gggrrr.

7. 22nw22

22nw22 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I got novopen echo and did have problems but not all the time.

8. johnbear2

johnbear2 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Had the same problem when I ordered a spare novo pen,basically pen came damaged from manufacturers, couldn't put insulin cartridge into pen

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook