1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Problems counting carbs

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by VinnyJames, Nov 21, 2013.

1. VinnyJames

VinnyJames Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

So far, so good on the low carb diet.

Lost nearly a stone since diagnosis - about 3 weeks ago.

Meter reading yesterday 5.4% (7.2% at diagnosis).

However, am still getting to grips with supermarkets labels!

My problem is my diet is boring but I've seen foods which I'd like but they have a high carb count.

But then its broken down into two parts;

Dietary carbs and Carbs that sugars.

So my question is if its 50g carb but 45g is dietary carbs is that ok for a low carb diet?

2. Carbdodger

Carbdodger · Well-Known Member

Hello VinnyJames
    It's best to only look at the total carbs (ignoring the "of which sugars" bit r net carbs). Personally I'll not buy anything that is more than 10g of carbs per 100g although even that high is rare.
    I found it useful to refer to the Collins Little Gem Calorie Counter book especially for fruit, veg etc. Ignore the calorie column and just use the carb column. It's about £5 and easy to carry around.
    Cd

3. Lenny3

Lenny3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The way I look at labels is carbs=sugar, as the body breaks them down into glucose.

So 50g of carbs = 50g of sugar!!!!!! :shock:

I also aim for 10g per 100g or less.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook