Problems getting back to LCHF

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm experiencing difficulties while trying to get back to LCHF after my recent chemo and radiotherapy for cervical cancer.
I'm not sure if it's the fat, or the fibre in the vegetables but my bowels are objecting ! I know it's still early days though.
Has anyone else had any experience of this ?

Update on the treatment.. Saw the oncologist and after a poke around, he said things are looking good. I have an MRI scan booked for 22nd November and I see him again in January. I'm feeling pretty good and back to my dancing and walking. It's just food causing problems, but the booklets I've been given say to expect this for a while as pelvic irradiation can affect you for a long time :(

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your news sounds very positive :) and good luck with the MRI.

Radiation can play havoc with our bodies, but so does chemo. You need time for all these poisons to clear out of your system and for your organs to recover. Things will work out in the end.

Reactions: dbr10 and rosalindp

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your news sounds very positive :) and good luck with the MRI.

Radiation can play havoc with our bodies, but so does chemo. You need time for all these poisons to clear out of your system and for your organs to recover. Things will work out in the end.

Thanks @Bluetit1802 I'm probably being too impatient. I feel quite well most of the time and then get a surprise when my tummy decides something isn't acceptable yet. Very glad to say that I can drink coffee again now though.

Reactions: dbr10 and Guzzler

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @daisyduck - Nice to see you posting again, after your sabbatical away for your treatment, and especially your optimistic news.

Never having travelled your path, I have no specific wisdom to offer you, but I would comment that I imagine your body has been under a very heavy assault in recent times, what with your surgery, radiotherapy and chemo appointments. Don't be too hard on yourself, in terms of your expectations for how quickly you'll bounce back to your old self.

I appreciate it's easy to say to yourself, "OK, that's another box ticked. Back to business as usual.", but sometimes our bodies aren't quite ready for that, and protest.

I know it's a totally, totally different quantum to your treatment, but the experience I had of going back to work too early after my hysterectomy was very sobering, when one day, early on, I actually had to close all the blinds of my glass walled office and have a sleep the sofa in the corner. Whooooops. Not my style at all, but I just couldn't put one foot in front of the other, never mind go home, without recharging my empty batteries a bit, even though I felt so well.

Don't do that (or anything like it) to yourself. If it takes a little longer, it takes a little longer to get back to completely your old self, so be it. Mother nature is a very powerful mistress.

Good luck with your onward journey.

Reactions: rosalindp

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm experiencing difficulties while trying to get back to LCHF after my recent chemo and radiotherapy for cervical cancer.
I'm not sure if it's the fat, or the fibre in the vegetables but my bowels are objecting ! I know it's still early days though.

Update on the treatment.. Saw the oncologist and after a poke around, he said things are looking good. I have an MRI scan booked for 22nd November and I see him again in January. I'm feeling pretty good and back to my dancing and walking. It's just food causing problems, but the booklets I've been given say to expect this for a while as pelvic irradiation can affect you for a long time :(
I’m on a sabaticle from the forum but felt the need to post here. Most importantly sounds like your recovering well. Clap clap.

Next. Maybe take it easy on the fiber and see if that works. Maybe try some R ALA as it’s a powerful antioxidant that helps rejuvenate every cell in your body. Ive never had chemo or radiation so skipped those parts but seems it could be useful to your recovery.

For now maybe just do what works and build from there as time goes on.

im not posting anymore for now ( haha here I am am) but felt the need. R ALA might be just what you need. It’s a powerful anti oxidant and will help you recover faster without needing to digest loads of veggies and fruits. When I’m down and out my system want very little fiber. But supplementing with RALA makes so many things happen.

As @ Bluetit1802 says teens things take time but I believe R ALA will speed them along. Only my experience.

http://www.life-enhancement.com/mag...update-the-ideal-antioxidant-gets-even-better

http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2007/10/nu_lipoic_acid/page-01

Wishing you love happiness and a speedy recovery.

Reactions: dbr10 and daisyduck

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone :) It's great to feel fairly normal again.
Where do you get your R ALA please , I'm off out shopping today. Is Holland & Barrett OK or is it best to order online ?

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Welcome back. So glad that all is looking up for you.
I order r ala online, it can be quite expensive.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: dbr10 and daisyduck

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: dbr10

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone :) It's great to feel fairly normal again.
Where do you get your R ALA please , I'm off out shopping today. Is Holland & Barrett OK or is it best to order online ?
H&B do not do R-ALA. The ALA they have is a 50:50 mix and not so effective.

Edit to add: The chemo may well have changed your gut biome, i.e. the flora and fauna in the intestine that do most of the digestion effort. This will take some time to settle down and start working properly again, I suspect that dairy products may be difficult to digest since lactase enzyme production is probably hit for 6 just now, in which case some probiotic yoghurt may assist. Suggest use just LC to lower the bgl, but ease it gradually down to avoid any keto for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: daisyduck and dbr10