Problems with Accu-chek mobile

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I received my nice new fancy meter (free trial) yesterday and was very impressed with the look and style. Was also looking forward to being able to test without the messing around with strips. It was going to be so much more simpler and modern.........but it didn't take long for my opinion to change!

I set it up and did the first test which was good. However, when I went to test later I kept getting "cassette defective" error message. And every attempt I made "used" another test. I took cassette out and re inserted it and I also tried turning the meter off and back on but to no avail. And each time the number of tests available was decreasing. I started off with 50 available tests and was soon at 40, having only actually completed a test once. I left it alone for a while and tried again every so often until eventually it did work again and I managed to complete 3 or 4 more tests before all the problems started again.

Not impressed with it at all and so glad I didn't actually pay for it! Back to using my sd codefree meter now.

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @chocoholicnomore that's a shame. That's what happens at times. I've used the mobile for at least 15 years now, had to buy a new meter three times. Having used other meters and every now and again had issues with every one, I decided to stick to the mobile. As you say, no separate strips is great. I also find it pretty accurate tbh. I can understand why you wouldn't want to keep on with it. It's so annoying. Would accu-chek replace it for you? It sends me free batteries and test solution, but don't think I've ever reported an issue, so can't comment on that.

Reactions: noblehead

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I received my nice new fancy meter (free trial) yesterday and was very impressed with the look and style. Was also looking forward to being able to test without the messing around with strips. It was going to be so much more simpler and modern.........but it didn't take long for my opinion to change!

I set it up and did the first test which was good. However, when I went to test later I kept getting "cassette defective" error message. And every attempt I made "used" another test. I took cassette out and re inserted it and I also tried turning the meter off and back on but to no avail. And each time the number of tests available was decreasing. I started off with 50 available tests and was soon at 40, having only actually completed a test once. I left it alone for a while and tried again every so often until eventually it did work again and I managed to complete 3 or 4 more tests before all the problems started again.

Not impressed with it at all and so glad I didn't actually pay for it! Back to using my sd codefree meter now.

Hi,
I own one of these.
There could be one a couple of of issues happening? (Just a guess at this stage.)
Possibly both due to environment? Again, supposition. But had you had the meter straight out the box from delivery & started use? (This is where I'm coming from.) the environmental change may have fogged up the reader lense with condensation rendering an issue alon with the cassette sticking a little as it travels & not setting a position for a test...?
The power managment may also be "off whack" due to supplied batteries (if supplied.) past their best??

The first time I get something like this? I install new batteries. It tends not to happen again.

Hope this helps? Sorry about your disappointment....

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use this meter and love it (apart from the cost of replacement cassettes) I have never had a problem in 3 years of use, with the same meter.

I agree with @Jaylee it could well be a battery problem - you have no way of knowing how long the batteries have been in there, or it could be environmental. I am sure if you contact Accu Chek they will replace it for you if necessary

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your replies. Had to remove protective strip from batteries before first use so I'm assuming that can't be the problem. Had the machine at room temperature all day today and still not working. I've emailed the company and will await their reply. Glad everyone else is happy with theirs and it must just be my machine. I posted mainly to warn others but I must just be unlucky lol

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a love/hate relationship with mine, @chocoholicnomore - I loved that it was strip-free, but it was quite stroppy in its implausible demands for attention...

Being type 1 I am lucky that testing is free, but I sympathise with your plight - it's such a pain when things don't work as you want them.

I've moved on from the Mobile now, but I remember it with frustrated fondness!

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have one which I use when out and about. Had it a couple of months now and on my second cassette without any issues. I bet it plays up, now!
I would expect if you have a faulty cassette that accuchek would replace it. I mean you can take a photo of the error messages it and email it so proof should be easy enough.

Clem

Clem

One positive thing I love is the Fast-Clix pen and cartridge system, the rest of the system is best placed in the bin. I have been dealing with this for some time now. I find it fraudulent that the manufacturers do not tell us what they have known for years, and by the way for those that do not believe me look forward later this year in 2018 they are coming out with a new cartridge, and I am sure it is to try to stem the tide of patients leaving this faulty product. And yet they claim currently it is us? Shame on them for taking the millions they do knowing they have a faulty product.

Having diabetes my whole life I have used almost every meter imaginable, and depend on it to calibrate my pump and sensor. Roche (Accu-Chel Mobile) KNOW there s a problem, and if you look there are problems since it came out, especially starting in 2012 to present day. Yet their reps they talk to you as though you are the only one, and then as a child and advise to watch their instructional videos, or tell you some other nonsense, that you need to learn how to use it, or you have done something wrong such as 'oh you must have shaking hands' what? Everything I try patiently and I still get errors, and if you Google yo see in every country, and other languages, you see people have all too familiar issues, we can't all be crazy. Every other system I have ever used is simple... drop of blood, strip in meter apply blood=value.

When I am going hypo I don't have the time or the patience to go through 3 or 4 tests before I get a valid sample
. I have just gotten my 4th cartridge and in the first 6 tests 4 failed! I have a friend in another country and they pointed out that Accuc-Chek Mobile is not covered by their insurance, their NURSE told them that cartridges have so many failure rates that the insurance companies will not give permission for their patients to use it! What insurance wants to pay for a system strip that fails 10 - 30% or more? 4 in 6 tests on last cartridge is not a good start.

First they claim the blood bust wick up (duh) or let it lay horizontal (one of their agents told me to try this actually gave me less failures than the following) where they claimed that was the problem, that you must hold the meter perfectly vertical, or that you must sand on one leg spin round 3 times and chant something ancient Babylonian tongue... In all seriousness good for those of you that it works but it is alarming that they make so much money on this and do not take this defective product off the market.

Last edited:

Clem

StewartH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Yes I have been using the Accu-Chek mobile for a few years now. The defecive cassette message appears approx. 4% of all tests by my count. Dont throw the cassette away. Press the centre button for a few seconds util the meter turns off and open the shutter again to have the meter restart. Usually this fixes the problem.
Accu-chek reliablity could certainly be improved.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Used this for the last 3 years. No problems. When I dropped the unit and broke the sliding cover accuchek replaced the unit free of charge after a quick call. Free batteries every now and then. The only problems I’ve had were my own fault testing with misplaced blood drops ors insufficient blood. (Both rare). The blue tooth is a bit temperamental to mySugr app but gets there in the end.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake

I found the meter big, clunky, and difficult to use... made worse by the additional bluetooth module

I use the contour next one... small and accurate and easier to use... much more discrete and has better functions

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found the meter big, clunky, and difficult to use... made worse by the additional bluetooth module

I use the contour next one... small and accurate and easier to use... much more discrete and has better functions
Which just proves how individual it is.

I find it still fits my fairly small hands just fine, easy to use and best of all doesn’t use strips to fiddle with each time (a circulating cartridge instead). It IS larger overall than others and I can’t slip it in a pocket etc as a result, as the fingerpricker can be attached to the main unit so I don’t mislay it and have to hunt it down and the Bluetooth module means uploading data is sooooo much easier than messing with cables.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Which just proves how individual it is.

I find it still fits my fairly small hands just fine, easy to use and best of all doesn’t use strips to fiddle with each time (a circulating cartridge instead). It IS larger overall than others and I can’t slip it in a pocket etc as a result, as the fingerpricker can be attached to the main unit so I don’t mislay it and have to hunt it down and the Bluetooth module means uploading data is sooooo much easier than messing with cables.
Oh yes.. I know some people who love it... me on the other had its stick in the top draw with an expired unused cartridge in it

I've been lucky that my gp just gives me the test strips I request

Reactions: HSSS