Problems with breakfast and tiredness

PaulAuster

Hi,
sorry for my bad english, greetings from Spain.

I've been low carbing for more than two years now, since I was 16 approximately. My daily carb count has been always under 30g. Now I'm 18 and I'm studying a degree, but I'm having some problems with my overall energy in the mornings, since I only eat 9 grams of carbohydrates (a slice of low carb bread with wheat bran base) and a good amount of protein and fats coming from cold meats or cheese. Two hours before my meal I usually begin to feel physically tired, hungry and having some difficulties in order to focus in studying or paying attention. My brain seems to work sloooowly. I've tried eating even more protein and fats, but it doesn't seem to work. I've also tried bacon and eggs, but it's more expensive and I don't want to cook every morning. Vitamin pills are useless.

Two weeks ago I tried increasing my carb intake to 22 grams in breakfast, and it worked so well. I felt that my concentration and capabilities improved, and I felt less hungry than usual. This sounds a bit strange to me since everyone tells me that increasing carb intake can increase hunger as well. Is it a physchological effect or is it just working for me? Should I stay in this new breakfast plan despite needing more insulin? Effects in overall blood sugar are still to be seen...

anyone feeling the same?
THANK YOU!

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Hello PaulAuster, first of all your English is excellent. I presume that you are type 1 diabetic as you are on insulin so I'm afraid I can't be much help there but I am sure some type 1's will be along soon to help with your question. As a type 2 diabetic I really cannot eat carbs at breakfast and I stick to eggs mainly either with or without bacon, bratwurst, cold meats, cheese etc and I cannot eat any type of bread. Good luck and let us know how you go on, regards

PaulAuster

Thank you for your replies. :D I'll keep an eye on this new breakfast plan and I'll tell you soon. And thanks for the warm welcome too!

PhilT

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you considered a small snack like walnuts or almonds ? You haven't said what your total daily intake is.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DCUK Forum mobile app

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Paul, I am type 1 diabetic who carb count my meals. As others have said you seem to be having a low amount of carbs for your meals for what your body require. I am assuming that you inject for all your meals and that you are using fact acting insulin like novorapid. If you are you can safely increase your carb intake and just increase your insulin dose to allow for the extra carbs you eat. If in doubt speak to your diabetes team. Good luck with your studies.