Problems with feet and toenails

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Bigotry, Homophobia, Transphobia, Celery.
Hi, I am in the UK. I havent had a diabetic foot screening in two years and I am worried about my feet.
The reasons for concern are as well as being dark red and light red a lot of the time, they also become swollen. I did see a doctor about this and was given a dopler test. No further action was taken.
Now I am concerned because my toenails are in really bad condition. The big toenail cracked at the top all on it own. they break so easily. I dont know what to do and I am currently in isolation with my wife until at the earliest end of June.

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Keep a close eye on them for any signs of infection. I would try and see a chiropodist
obviously when safe to do so, they might even do an online appointment maybe to ease your mind.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am not qualified in any way, but it sounds like a fungal nail infection (like athletes foot in your nails) treating for this shouldn't hurt, and you can buy the treatments over the counter (or online), but once you are able get it checked out by a HCP

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am in the UK. I havent had a diabetic foot screening in two years and I am worried about my feet.
The reasons for concern are as well as being dark red and light red a lot of the time, they also become swollen. I did see a doctor about this and was given a dopler test. No further action was taken.
Now I am concerned because my toenails are in really bad condition. The big toenail cracked at the top all on it own. they break so easily. I dont know what to do and I am currently in isolation with my wife until at the earliest end of June.

Hello Jay - Personally, I feel you should make contact with your GP. At the moment, some GPs are doing appointments by video calls, so they could be able to see your feet and nails.

In more usual times, who usually cuts your toenails for you? They might be an alternative to the GP if they can't help.

Again, personally, I am always very wary of taking a flyer with feet. This can go wrong, and they can go wrong quickly.

Please speak to an appropriately qualified person.

Have you had a letter instructing you and your wife to shield, or is that a decision you made yourself?

Speaking to a doctor last week, she was very forthright that although COVID is of great concern to everyone right not, there are people experiencing other health issues who still need to be seen and treated. As you are finding, other conditions don't stop because of COVID.

Good luck with it all.