Problems with Hypo's

noidea21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello i am wondering if anyone can help me understand why after my evening meal with in 1 hour my sugars drop below 4 i feel so Shakey and sick and my eyes get more blurred than normal, I have decreased my insulin that i have with meals to see if it will help but it has not helped ! i feel like my insulin is having the opposite affect that it should i am just so confused ! does anyone else have same problems? Thank you

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It would help people to answer your question if you were ok with posted a bit more information please, about which insulin you use, and are you carb counting etc.
What was your blood test before your meal?
Is this happening every day or just today?

It could be the result of the warmer weather, or are you exercising more etc, or were delayed eating?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have decreased my insulin that i have with meals to see if it will help but it has not helped
Hi @noidea21 , can you tell us what kind of insulin regime you're on?
How do you usually decide how much to inject before meals?

Are you on fixed doses for every meal or do you adjust the insulin depending on the carbs you eat?

noidea21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @noidea21 , can you tell us what kind of insulin regime you're on?
How do you usually decide how much to inject before meals?

Are you on fixed doses for every meal or do you adjust the insulin depending on the carbs you eat?
Hi i am on between 18 to 20 units of Abasaglar ! once a day and between 17 and 19 units of Admelog before meals i have reduced it this past 4 days to 16 units and i am soo confused that after evening meal i get a hypo with in 1 hour. Thank you for replying .

noidea21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi i am on between 18 to 20 units of Abasaglar ! once a day and between 17 and 19 units of Admelog before meals i have reduced it this past 4 days to 16 units and i am soo confused that after evening meal i get a hypo with in 1 hour. Thank you for replying .
Sorry i have to depending on how high my sugars go change my Abasaglar ! i react badly to big changes so i am always told to change up or down by one unit at a time .

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
between 17 and 19 units of Admelog before meals i have reduced it this past 4 days to 16 units and i am soo confused that after evening meal i get a hypo with in 1 hour. Thank you for replying .
Have you been changing the types of meals you eat? Maybe you're eating less because of the heat, or you have been eating more salad/veggies/meat instead of potatoes and bread?

It's the carbs that make your blood glucose rise, so you can imagine a meal with only 10 grams of carbs needs a lot less insulin than a meal of 150 grams of carbs.
It may be worth keeping a diary of the foods you eat, the insulin you use and the blood glucose numbers you see.
This can be very helpful in finetuning your mealtime doses.

Reactions: noidea21 and EllieM

noidea21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It would help people to answer your question if you were ok with posted a bit more information please, about which insulin you use, and are you carb counting etc.
What was your blood test before your meal?
Is this happening every day or just today?

It could be the result of the warmer weather, or are you exercising more etc, or were delayed eating?
I realized and replied as to what insulin i use! I am sorry i did not think until after i posted! i am on between 18 to 20 units of Abasaglar ! once a day and between 17 and 19 units of Admelog before meals i have reduced it this past 4 days to 16 units and i am soo confused that after evening meal i get a hypo with in 1 hour. Yes it has happened every day for more than a week, I check my sugars regular and even if my sugars at the lowest before bed are 9.4 when i get up in a morning they are above 10, i just feel like everything is working backwards its confused and stressed me that much !Thank you

noidea21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have you been changing the types of meals you eat? Maybe you're eating less because of the heat, or you have been eating more salad/veggies/meat instead of potatoes and bread?

It's the carbs that make your blood glucose rise, so you can imagine a meal with only 10 grams of carbs needs a lot less insulin than a meal of 150 grams of carbs.
It may be worth keeping a diary of the foods you eat, the insulin you use and the blood glucose numbers you see.
This can be very helpful in finetuning your mealtime doses.
Thank you! No i eat very much the same meals always, i have small amounts of carbs if i do have added carbs at evening meal i don't tend too change the Adamalog as any extra is only one small /little baby potato or a slice of milk roll bread which has very low carbs, I do have a bad reaction with carbs they make me feel extremally bloated and that is just a small amount so i am always very cautious with adding extra. I will start keeping a diary as you say, Thank you so much .

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you! No i eat very much the same meals always, i have small amounts of carbs if i do have added carbs at evening meal i don't tend too change the Adamalog as any extra is only one small /little baby potato or a slice of milk roll bread which has very low carbs, I do have a bad reaction with carbs they make me feel extremally bloated and that is just a small amount so i am always very cautious with adding extra. I will start keeping a diary as you say, Thank you so much .
Good luck and let us know how it goes!