Problems With Meds

Reginald_2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Has anyone come off dapagliflozin? I have started lchf diet and finding bloods low at night. I’m also constantly up passing urine. On humalog mix 50 - gradually lowering from 80 am and pm to 66 both times. Also 1000 metformin a day. Thinking I don’t need dapagliflozin but a bit worried about coming off. Dose is 10mg. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Reginald_2, You really need to discuss it with your doctor, we on site do not have the authority to provide professional advice or opinion about changing medication as such. The effects of dapagliflozin include excessive urination as can be read on drug info literature in the packet or on the web about this medication. Best Wishes with this and please let us know how you fare.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone come off dapagliflozin? I have started lchf diet and finding bloods low at night. I’m also constantly up passing urine. On humalog mix 50 - gradually lowering from 80 am and pm to 66 both times. Also 1000 metformin a day. Thinking I don’t need dapagliflozin but a bit worried about coming off. Dose is 10mg. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reginald, I agree with @kitedoc that you need to have a chat with your Doc about your meds if you're going low at night. How low are you actually going, as that might influece some of the discussion you have?

As kitedoc suggests, Dapagliflozin works by your kidneys creating additional uring to transport the sugar out of your blood. Many people have had great success with it, and I have seen (on these boards) people come off it - usually when their blood sugars have improved.

In your shoes, my preference, in tackling the lows, would likely be to tweak the insulin down a bit, but that really is a discussion for you and your diabetes team to have.

Last edited:

Reginald_2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I left tablet yesterday and bg was 11 this am so could be that I lowered insulin. I don’t quite understand why if I lower insulin and bg still under what the nurse is saying( i.e do not go below 8 before bed) that I cannot stop this tablet. I’ve increased insulin to 70 today and will see how I go before tea/bed. My diabetes team would be reluctant to alter meds although she did say I could try another newer tablet. My aim is to come off both metformin and dapagliflozin. I have lost approximately 7lbs in weight and keeping to roughly 60 carbs per day. Will report tmrw. Thanks

Reactions: artijayne