Type 2 Problems with my meters could do with some advice

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People telling me "You can't eat this and You can't eat that." and of course " You don't look Diabetic!"
Hi everyone,
So my problem is this, I am using a freestyle libre CGM at the moment, I'm a little concerned with some of the readings. So I checked them against my normal glucose monitor, and got some very different readings so I checked with my back-up meter (I actually have two back-up meters.)

I've attached a picture of the two meters which used the same blood sample, they are very different. So how do I check the readings? Is there a way of getting a standard sugar solution sample to test them that way? I am now really getting worried that my readings may be off by a lot as I have had a few times where I have been feeling very low but my usual glucose meter has shown me as being normal (well normal for me.)

I'm from the UK, visiting my family and friends but normally live and work in the UAE so visiting a doctor would throw up all sorts of problems as I've lived outside the UK (12 years and counting) so long I am only eligible for emergency treatment and I'm not registered as with a doctor in the UK.

if anyone can help it would be cool.

Attachments

• same blood but different meters.jpg
    same blood but different meters.jpg
    597.8 KB · Views: 295
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Abbott do two control solutions for the Freestyle Lite. One is 0.05% solution of dextrose and should give a 2.8 reading in English. Multiply it by 18 for mg/dl. The other solution is 0.3% dextrose solution which should give a reading of 16.7 in English. Since the Libre is an Abbott product you never know your luck. They usually send it out for free.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,
So my problem is this, I am using a freestyle libre CGM at the moment, I'm a little concerned with some of the readings. So I checked them against my normal glucose monitor, and got some very different readings so I checked with my back-up meter (I actually have two back-up meters.)

I've attached a picture of the two meters which used the same blood sample, they are very different. So how do I check the readings? Is there a way of getting a standard sugar solution sample to test them that way? I am now really getting worried that my readings may be off by a lot as I have had a few times where I have been feeling very low but my usual glucose meter has shown me as being normal (well normal for me.)

I'm from the UK, visiting my family and friends but normally live and work in the UAE so visiting a doctor would throw up all sorts of problems as I've lived outside the UK (12 years and counting) so long I am only eligible for emergency treatment and I'm not registered as with a doctor in the UK.

if anyone can help it would be cool.

Are they so far out? It looks to me that they are less from a 15% medium unless I am reading them wrong?
In fact - from a centre (158 - 180) of about 169 the top number is less than 10% and the bottom meter is also less than 10%.
In fact, even the bottom number to the top is 15% so all within range.

And then there is the blood sample - I have found different values between the first and second blood drop.

A test solution tested on both of them will tell you how far they are out and abbott did send me a box of test solution for me to try - they are really good like that.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Freestyle libre cgm and standard blood glucose monitors are totally different pieces of kit, using different methods to provide information.
The problem here is I feel that there is too much information.
Which BM is correct? Which BM is incorrect? The answer is they both are. You need to use one meter and stick to it.
As for the libre , I would suggest you use it to create a trend over a period of time and not a moment in time device.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you aware that the Libre sensors read interstitial fluid, not capillary blood?. The interstitial fluid runs about 10 to 15 minutes behind our blood meters. This means you need to finger prick first, wait 10 to 15 minutes, then scan the sensor.

Blood glucose meters have an error tolerance of plus or minus 15% (95% of the time. The other 5% can be anything) It is unusual to get identical readings with consecutive finger pricks. Blood runs round our bodies very quickly, and each drop you get contains many, many blood cells. Each blood cell will have a different amount of glucose attached to it.

I would put one meter away and use the other for some comparison tests against the Freestyle Libre. All my Libres have read a lot lower than my finger pricks, BUT have been consistent. I have been able to average the differences between the Libre and the finger pricker, and mentally add that difference to the Libre readings.

Reactions: therower