Progress after 4 days

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
I'm gonna see the dietitian for the second time in just over a week who had told me to follow the 'Eat Well' plate and just have smaller portions (presumably to lose weight rather than bring the BS down). I had followed her advice just over 3 weeks and lost 1kg in that time while my blood sugar remained the same. I wonder what she will say when I tell her about my change of eating habits and the lowering of the BS levels.... which is the only reason I saw her in the first place.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder what she will say when I tell her about my change of eating habits and the lowering of the BS levels.... which is the only reason I saw her in the first place.

I usually smile and nod a lot. They like that. Then I come home and do what I want to. It's easier than getting into an argument.

Reactions: 4 people

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I usually smile and nod a lot. They like that. Then I come home and do what I want to. It's easier than getting into an argument.

I may just do that... and then at the end of the session tell her that my way seems to be much better than her way and that I won't be going back for another appointment. :D

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jack mentioned I need fat... If I get a craving again, I shall have a teaspoon of peanut butter.

I have rhubarb growing in the garden and I boil some of that and put extra thick double cream on it. Nice way to get your fat intake I find.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have increased my fat only a little, because I believe getting my BMI below 30 will also improve my BS. I have got some double cream in the fridge to try Brunneria's recipe in case I get another carb craving. I did have some delicious oatmeal porridge this morning cooked with full fat milk.

I find that I use more butter and olive oil for frying and will have some mushrooms today, cooked in coconut cream (with onion and garlic... utterly more-ish).

Lizzy5172

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Gudrun!!! You have done really well. Keep up the good work and we shall beat this thing over the head with a fistful of unwanted carbs.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
and this morning my fasting blood sugar level was 4.6 (on AccuChek) and 4.4 (on Codefree). I can't remember the last time it was in the 4s.... all done without one single bit of exercise (although I hope to be able to add daily walks soon).

And apart from one afternoon of craving carbs it has been so easy.

Brilliant Gudrun! My fasting BG suddenly dropped from 6.5 to 5.6 and now 5.3 this morning. I have been doing 30-40 minute brisk walks, but I can still hardly believe it (I think it's related to having lies-ins!).

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Brilliant Gudrun! My fasting BG suddenly dropped from 6.5 to 5.6 and now 5.3 this morning. I have been doing 30-40 minute brisk walks, but I can still hardly believe it (I think it's related to having lies-ins!).

Excellent, Rod. You're doing brilliantly. One thought came to me this morning... where would we all be without this forum? We'd be still struggling by ourselves with inappropriate advice and not getting the benefits of those who really know and understand what we need to do.

I keep telling myself that I need to go for a walk, but having been sedentary for so long now I keep putting it off.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep telling myself that I need to go for a walk, but having been sedentary for so long now I keep putting it off.

Bizarre as it sounds, we got a dog. It was a difficult decision. I am a comparable BMI to you, Gudrun, with a history of hyper mobile joints, lower back problems, a hatred of exercise and a concern that within5 years I might not be able to lift a dog in and out of a car.

So I read, and I researched, and I ummmed and I ahhhed and Mr B was... er... not very supportive. It turns out that there are a couple of breeds (havanese, shih tzu and bichon frise) who flourish without much exercise provided they get plenty of energetic playtime. The same three breeds only need about 1/4-1/2 mile a day. Although they will happily enjoy more.

Well, how perfect is that? A dog that can adapt to very little, but will love more, exercise. If my back immobilises me for a few days, we can play in the house... On a good day, we can walk for miles...

We went for a shih tzu.
image.jpg

He's now about 11 months. With him, we have gone from tiny little 5 minute walks (cos that was as much as he could do), up to yesterday's marathon of a whole 2 miles!!! ( see the aftermath below)
image.jpg

By the end of the summer, I expect both he and I will be up to much more...

Don't worry - I'm not suggesting that you get a dog! But for me, the dog has provided wonderful motivation. And that is the key - finding the perfect lifestyle motivation. Every day, rain or shine. It is whatever works for you.

Oh, and my back hasn't hurt in 3 months. All the walking, I think. :happy:

Reactions: 6 people

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
gudrun you have done really well and a fasting bs of 4 is fantastic. I thought mine was good at 5.3 this morning! I got my codefree monitor this morning so am back to testing. I had an accu check but the strips got too expensive. On the positive side I have lost 2 lbs this week so that is good. I have an appointment on 30 April for my second Hba1c since they told me I had prediabetes so will see how that goes. I have cut out bread, rice, pasta and potatoes and depending on my Hba1c I will keep it the same or lower the carbs. I did have a hot cross bun this morning but fear that might be a one off when I test later!

Brunneria your dog is so cute! I also get my exercise walking the dog only ours is a springer! It really does force me to get out and walk though,

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bizarre as it sounds, we got a dog. It was a difficult decision. I am a comparable BMI to you, Gudrun, with a history of hyper mobile joints, lower back problems, a hatred of exercise and a concern that within5 years I might not be able to lift a dog in and out of a car.

We went for a shih tzu.
View attachment 4273

Oh, and my back hasn't hurt in 3 months. All the walking, I think. :happy:

Brunneria, he is absolutely adorable. Lucky, lucky you (sadly, I'm allergic to dogs, cats and other furry things). My only 'pets' are the frogs and newts in the pond and the foxes that come for their regular feed in the afternoon (although I just watch them from the inside).

I live in the north of Leeds and have a big garden. My house backs onto some woodland with a brook (and trout), totally idyllic and totally isolated as well as there is no public access to the woodland and only the people whose gardens back onto it go there for a walk. Most of the time I go there for a walk I am alone; I hardly ever meet anybody. But I haven't been walking there for a few months now.

My chronic fatigue got a bit worse last year due to stress (I was a part time carer for my mother in law after her stroke) and I just got into the habit of looking at the wood from my window rather than going for a walk. A sedentary lifestyle can become a habit and I realize after reading how much benefit you are getting from walking (as well as Rods), that I must break that habit.

I'm gonna make some lunch now and will go for a walk this afternoon and enjoy the sight of the spring flowers.

Reactions: 6 people

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I got my codefree monitor this morning so am back to testing.

I have been comparing my results for the last 3 days with AccuChek and Codefree. Twice the Codefree was 0.2 lower and once it was the same as AccuChek. Luckily I have got loads of AccuChek strips left over so I can keep on comparing the two for a while longer.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As predicted my hot cross bun was a one off - bs level after one hour was 8.3.

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also get my exercise walking the dog only ours is a springer! It really does force me to get out and walk though,

I am impressed. There are 2 springers at our puppy classes. They are insanely energetic. I am very impressed! How did you survive those first few months (and years)? lol

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am impressed. There are 2 springers at our puppy classes. They are insanely energetic. I am very impressed! How did you survive those first few months (and years)? lol

he will be three in June and is calm for a springer. He is very lively outside and could run forever but once home he is quiet - he is fast asleep at the moment! he was hard work as a puppy though but so worth persevering! he gets extra walks at week ends and school holidays as my husband takes him out in the morning but then I miss my walk so we go out together in the afternoon. I certainly wouldn't have bothered before diagnosis!

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Enjoy! It is a beautiful day... And the woods are glorious at the moment.
X

Just been for a 30 minute walk in the woods. You are right, it was beautiful with oceans of white wood anemones and the first bluebells. Even though the walk was quite leisurely (can't do brisk walking) I feel pretty exhausted now.

I measured my BS before I went and it was 5.0. When I came back it was 4.2 !!! I had not realized that exercise would make such huge effects (especially the leisurely walks). I had thought I would have to do brisk walking / jogging before I notice a difference in BS, but this drop is amazing.

Will try to go for a walk every day now (well, unless it rains)

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Grin, and it is a fab way to burn off excess glucose too. Not that I am encouraging you off the wagon! But as an emergency, a few flights of stairs will make my glucose drop much more quickly than sitting watching tv...