Progress, high evening readings and taking a break from testing.

Stronggirlsclub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning lovely people.

I just thought I’d write a quick update post as your advice so far has been invaluable and so very motivating.

It’s been 3.5 weeks since the dr suggested that I may have diabetes and also 3.5 weeks since I decided to go very low carb (I’m not on medication)

I’ve found the change in lifestyle to be absolutely liberating. I’m really loving this way of eating and feel a lot better in myself.

My first HBA1C Reading was 105mmol (huge shock) and 3.5 weeks later my estimated A1c is 57.8mmol (I’ve been testing 8-10 times per day and religiously inputting data into my sugr).

Don’t get me wrong, I am very happy with this improvement. However, I feel like I’ve now reached a point where my BG Reading are out of my hands. I seem to have an extreme case of DP (between 8-11mmol) and these high reading often hang around until lunchtime despite eating a high fat breakfast and going for a 40min walk/swim. Things settle down around lunchtime and my pre/post dinner readings are usually between 6.5-7.00mmol. Despite having no snacks or hidden carbs after dinner, I usually go to bed with a reading of 8-9mmol.

I’m finding this so disheartening as I’m doing everything I can possibly think of to help.

Any ideas why my readings go up before bed and why they stay high for so long in the morning?

I’ve ran out of test strips and am thinking of taking a few days off from testing to see if the break helps me to relax. I’ve never had a problem with my post meal readings so think I should be able to take a few days off without any detrimental effects.

Thank you in advance

SGC

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just posted this in answer to someone struggling with getting their glucose where they want it to be.

I too struggled for a long time to get anything like normal results even with low carbing and as I am too thin I needed to maintain my weight. I have recently been just having breakfast (always lots of spinach, 1 large or a few small tomatoes, some onion, celery, peppers, chillies etc fried in coconut oil and when ready add two eggs, stir and cook till the eggs are done. I then have lunch around 2.00pm which will be more veg or a salad with fish, chicken or some cheese or a chicken curry with just veg. No starchy veg and no fruit (and of course none of the things us that struggle with our BG mustn't have) Nothing after that except black coffee (I am a coffeeholic) or water. Pretty boring but edible and for the first time ever I have glucoses down in the 5s and even the occasional one in the high 4s
I am having a hip replacement in August so hopefully my HbA1c and BS will be better than it has been in the past. I am just on metformin for my diabetes and don't want to have to take anything else.
I recently actually saw a Dr for the first time ever as the diabetic nurse has left and the new one isn't as qualified as she was. I was a biochemist until I retired so fairly clued up but I did struggle with my diet and have found the only way for me is being incredibly strict with what I eat and only having two meals, nothing in the evening. I may have to rethink if I start to lose weight but for the moment it is working.".

Reactions: Stronggirlsclub