Proliferative retinopathy - any good news?

Flossie101

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there - just wondered if there is any good news stories from people have had a diagnosis of proliferative retinopathy? Has anyone been able to reverse the damage in anyway?

Flossie101

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
not sure if my story , is good or not somebody will confirm one way or another........
way back in 1983 i attended west suffolk hospital eye dept .
as i had what I can only recall like raindrops in tops of both eyes then referred to MOORFIELDS EYE HOSPITAL london
after all the test s black and white photos of both eyes then fluroscan eye die i had to to have ARGON LASER TREATMENT in both eyes several times in a 1 year period at that time moorfeild was the only HOSPITAL IN THE UK that could do that they saved my sight .BUT .THE THING WAS i had get my diabetics under better hbac1 the were 10 9 8 not good so i bought every new blood meters that to me improved control . and after a transplant kidney in 2006 ask my clinic for a pump fingers x i got on since then i have had one bleed done by west suffolk eye dept
THE LASER now are super lot smaller and more accurate back in 1983 were very large bit like welding a car body
but thanks to staff of the NHS AND HOSPITALS
eyes still working and hbac1 down to 7.5 and last one 7 next move will be constant blood sugar moniters

vic 59 year on insulin thanK U BANTING AND BEST AND THE DOGGY .........
Thank you - and well do

Flossie101

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for writing and telling me about your story. Well done you for getting your hba1c down - how long had you been struggling with the higher readings before you had problems with your eyes?

Flossie101

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you - i've just read through that website. It does sound like laser surgery has long lasting effects......... where would we be without it......

Caesar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Flossie101 I'm not sure whether you have heard about the Noctura 400 sleep mask but have a look into http://noctura.com/blog/category/testimonials/ if you are after positive stories. It's a new non-invasive treatment that has given positive results to some people also on this forum. I also recommend eating loads of green leafy vegetables such as spinach or alternatively taking supplements rich in lutein, bilberry, and zeaxanthin. Plus the usual tight BG control (try especially avoiding too sudden ups and downs in a day)... I know it's hard but nothing is impossible!

Jemmalee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There will always be more 'horror' stories than good on the Internet, purely because people turn to forums when experiencing troubles. BUT, there are lots of positive stories regarding proliferative retinopathy thanks to current treatment options available. I was treated last year for proliferative retinopathy and so far so good. My last appointment was yesterday and was told my eyes were looking really healthy! So don't despair as I did. Hold on to the positive statistics and take control of what you can: your blood sugars, blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Eat healthily and stay positive and with the available treatments you should be absolutely fine. Best wishes and happy to answer any questions regarding treatment ❤️

Reactions: noblehead

J smith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have had the same problem and have been probably like you, very scared. There is so much now that can be done. I've had a lot of laser but unfortunately after two huge bleeds had to have two vitrectomy operations and suffered a detached retina. however, I've had diabetes for nearly 50 years and at no time has it been well controlled. If you keep the blood sugars healthy and eat well and exercise you will be fine. As said above it's incredible how much has changed since my diagnosis and this will continue hopefully. Maybe even a cure good luck x

Reactions: Jemmalee