Protein intake on Low Carb?

helliebean

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone..Apologies for typo in title..can't change it..
After nearly 4 years on Low Carb, I am still trying to figure out the balance with protein intake. By being low carb, my protein intake obviously became higher..ie, more cheese, eggs, Greek yogurt, nuts to name a few..but, according to certain resources, too much protein is very bad for you resulting in higher risk of cancer, liver and kidney issues and long term, issues with diabetes, as the excess protein breaks down to sugars etc similar to the carbs? So, my question is, what on earth are we Low Carbers supposed to do? As it happens I do not eat a lot of cheese but I do love my almonds and walnuts, eggs, and love love heaps of (real) Greek yogurt..They say we should not consume more than 45-50g per day of protein..good grief a piece of salmon is over 30!..Whilst i love being on my very low carb life..This is all getting a bit too much..so many numbers..isn't it bad enough I can't have my Cadbury twirls anymore? Helen

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
@helliebean All depends on the person on a day to day basis, I know my fasting sugars are in the 4's even after a decent amount of protein these days so it's not so much of a problem. Gluconeogenesis is a demand driven system that can be a little broken in most of us with T2 but as fat is removed it starts to become a little better at controlling itself especially with exercise introduced into the mix too. It's been a bit of a debated subject if protein does kick you out of ketosis and gets turned into sugar but the current consensus is that it doesn't. As for the higher risk of cancer I prescribe to the fact it's a load of old tosh and once again the food companies wanting us to eat that healthy 'whole grain' that has been messing with our systems for almost a century. Eat to your meter, I personally don't have issues but you might and I'll say this that Diabetic nephropathy was reversed in mice with a keto diet that had adequate protein as a part of it and Dr. Bernstein the legendary man that he is saw the same with with his own low carb high protein diet too, just food for thought.

Also with you there on the Twirls :banghead:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
There is no real evidence that red meat causes cancer. There is no evidence at all to suggest that a diet higher in protein causes kidney disease. And finally, gluconeogenesis is demand driven i.e protein is far and away more important for growth and repair than it is for glucose production therefore the body will use it as fuel only when it needs to for such as red blood cells and because a zero carb diet is very difficult there will be enough glucose from carbs for this on top of ketones used as fuel by those cells able to run on them.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Protein levels only need restricting if you already have kidney damage. In my opinion, in the absence of kidney disease, restricting protein to the low levels you describe is dangerous, especially as we age. We need it to repair cell damage, to heal after injury, and to keep us strong. Every single cell in our body needs protein. I have said this before but it is worth repeating, as I am getting older, if I fall over, I want to be able to get back up again. I have never restricted my consumption of protein. I eat now what I always have eaten and still have normal kidney function.

Excess protein can cause raised blood sugar levels, but only when carb consumption is very low and there is insufficient glucose in our bodies from these carbs. Even then, not everyone experiences this.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone..Apologies for typo in title..can't change it..
After nearly 4 years on Low Carb, I am still trying to figure out the balance with protein intake. By being low carb, my protein intake obviously became higher..ie, more cheese, eggs, Greek yogurt, nuts to name a few..but, according to certain resources, too much protein is very bad for you resulting in higher risk of cancer, liver and kidney issues and long term, issues with diabetes, as the excess protein breaks down to sugars etc similar to the carbs? So, my question is, what on earth are we Low Carbers supposed to do? As it happens I do not eat a lot of cheese but I do love my almonds and walnuts, eggs, and love love heaps of (real) Greek yogurt..They say we should not consume more than 45-50g per day of protein..good grief a piece of salmon is over 30!..Whilst i love being on my very low carb life..This is all getting a bit too much..so many numbers..isn't it bad enough I can't have my Cadbury twirls anymore? Helen

Hellibean, would you like me, or any of the Mods to adjust the thread title? Just tag someone in and we'll do that. I assume you meant you would like it to read,

"Protein intake on Low Carb?", as opposed to Carbon?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
100g of salmon has about 22g of protein.

Who is it that said “there’s no such thing as too much protein but there can be too little” @bulkbiker ?

helliebean

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hellibean, would you like me, or any of the Mods to adjust the thread title? Just tag someone in and we'll do that. I assume you meant you would like it to read,

"Protein intake on Low Carb?", as opposed to Carbon?
Hi, yes please that would be lovely, thank you. .

helliebean

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Protein levels only need restricting if you already have kidney damage. In my opinion, in the absence of kidney disease, restricting protein to the low levels you describe is dangerous, especially as we age. We need it to repair cell damage, to heal after injury, and to keep us strong. Every single cell in our body needs protein. I have said this before but it is worth repeating, as I am getting older, if I fall over, I want to be able to get back up again. I have never restricted my consumption of protein. I eat now what I always have eaten and still have normal kidney function.

Excess protein can cause raised blood sugar levels, but only when carb consumption is very low and there is insufficient glucose in our bodies from these carbs. Even then, not everyone experiences this.
@helliebean All depends on the person on a day to day basis, I know my fasting sugars are in the 4's even after a decent amount of protein these days so it's not so much of a problem. Gluconeogenesis is a demand driven system that can be a little broken in most of us with T2 but as fat is removed it starts to become a little better at controlling itself especially with exercise introduced into the mix too. It's been a bit of a debated subject if protein does kick you out of ketosis and gets turned into sugar but the current consensus is that it doesn't. As for the higher risk of cancer I prescribe to the fact it's a load of old tosh and once again the food companies wanting us to eat that healthy 'whole grain' that has been messing with our systems for almost a century. Eat to your meter, I personally don't have issues but you might and I'll say this that Diabetic nephropathy was reversed in mice with a keto diet that had adequate protein as a part of it and Dr. Bernstein the legendary man that he is saw the same with with his own low carb high protein diet too, just food for thought.

helliebean

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thank you for your reply.

helliebean

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thankyou for your reply.

helliebean

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thank you for your kind reply.