Protein powder conundrum

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Given the times of your exercise and basal, the relationship between the two is not as obvious.
I *think* you need less than normal basal after your 4pm liver dump. This may mean you need to increase your basal on your exercise days as it seems to be working fine on your recovery days (day after exercise).

@helensaramay thanks for your reply very informative. So I always take my basal in the evening around 9pm-ish, now if I reduce this on training days the 4pm rise would already have happened or am I missing a trick???

D

Deleted Account

@helensaramay thanks for your reply very informative. So I always take my basal in the evening around 9pm-ish, now if I reduce this on training days the 4pm rise would already have happened or am I missing a trick???
Absolutely - the basal starts taking affect AFTER you have taken it so if you reduce it on training days, it will mean you have less for recovery days.
(Sorry, for the change in terminology from "non-training days" to "recovery days". It helps me think about my body recovering from the liver dump on the training day.)

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Forgive me if I am being thick here, but if i reduce the basal after training days I can see that helping out on 'rest days' BUT how it won't help the 4pm liver dump that's just happened, this is what I am trying to get to the bottom of.

Again thanks in advance.

D

Deleted Account

Forgive me if I am being thick here, but if i reduce the basal after training days I can see that helping out on 'rest days' BUT how it won't help the 4pm liver dump that's just happened, this is what I am trying to get to the bottom of.
That is why I suggested you may want to increase your basal for your training days (increase it at 9pm the day before).
If this would result in night time hypos, my only other suggestion would be to do a correction bolus at 4pm - you know approximately when it happens and, I assume the level is consistent, so you may even be able to proactively bolus 30 minutes prior.

Long acting insulin which is used as basal on MDI, assumes our body needs a constant level of insulin all day.
Unfortunately, this is rarely the case: for example, many people need more in the morning to manage dawn phenomenon and it is common to need more when doing cardio exercise and less when doing resistance training. Through injections, we have little scope to change the basal levels on less than a daily basis.
This is where an insulin pump becomes valuable. A pump works by dripping fast acting insulin at all times of the day as the basal. Therefore, we can adjust the rate of basal at different times or temporarily when you do exercise.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aaaaah got it ok. So tomrrow is a heavy training day sooooo I'm thinking increase the Levimer tonight by 2units hope for the best overnight and then see what happens post workout tomorrow at 4pm-ish!!!!!