protein shakes

Darwin195

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just started the gym again but thinking about going on the protain shakes to lose weight and tone up with protain shakes affect my diabetes I'm Type1

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
just be aware to drop your bolus ( fast acting dose ) as appropriate and keep your testing and some fast acting carb with you -- you'll be fine :)

Atalay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been working out for 13 years, on and off. I'm on since new year's eve. I believe protein shakes are not that helpful if you have no problem eating protein based nutrition. I am T1, too, and I tried protein shakes a lot. If you can spend money to that, and look for a variety in your diet, go for it. Besides, for T1, I don't recommend working out to extremes, like weightlifting at %80 to %100 at every session. This would increase the chance of hypo, and damaged microfibres in your muscles and bone cells could heal in a bit longer time than usual, making you open to injures more than a fully healthy person.

Other than that, protein shakes' ingredient is important. Check how much protein, carbs, and sugar it contains; use the same brand with same ingredients to keep track of your blood sugar level. You will be good to go.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I'm type 1 and just bolus for the protein
hopefully at a reduced dose ( approx 25-28% ) as protein doesn't metabolise the same as carbs