Type 1 Puffy Eyes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys,

Every now n again I'm getting puffy eyes. Does anyone else get this? GP said it's an allergy and prescribed fexofenodine hydrochloride but I'm concerned in case it's anything more sinister/diabetes related.
Thanks x

D

Deleted Account

It is very easy to become obsessed by diabetes and believe every single niggle is diabetes related ... or every single niggle can be cured by managing our BG.
However, with diabetes, we are just as susceptible to the whole gamut of other illnesses, injuries and allergies as everyone else.

I have recently experienced an allergic reaction which caused my eye/cheek to swell up to the level that it was obscuring my sight. I ended up with a few days of steroids and a month of fexofenodine hydrochloride to "retrain my allergy reactors".
After nearly 15 years of diabetes, this is the first time I have experienced this and the course of drugs prescribed seem to have done their thing - the swelling went down after 3 days and I have not reacted to any other allergy since.

I believe, if the doctor is happy to say your puffy eyes are an allergy, this is very very very very unlikely to be diabetes related.

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Haha thank you. I'm aware I could be over thinking. She prescribed them for 30 days and I stopped taking them after a few days when the swelling went down. It's happened a few times since, primarily after drinking a bit too much alcohol. Today it's happened out of nowhere. I guess I follow the docs advice properly and actually take the full course. I hadn't changed my diet or any products I use so was being cynical about the likelihood of it being an allergy

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
When I have a cold imminent I get puffy eyes. Even in the summer!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Sarahsarah2312 - If this usually happens after you've had too much to drink, could you try a few weeks without alcohol, to see what happens?

I used to be very allegic to certain insect bites and have had various lotions, potions and pills to address the impact over the years. In my dotage, I'm either not bitten as much or handle the bites better.

The other thing that could be in play, if this is all fairly recent is dehydration. I appreciate that what I am next about to say is counter-intuitive, but it's true - when I am dehydrated my hands, feet ankles and sometimes eyes become puffy. In fact, in my OH, his first sign of dehydration is puffy ankles. We discovered that when living in the Tropics where it was very easy to be dehydrated.

After all that ramble, alcohol also makes us dehydrated, so that could be in the mix, if not the total root cause.

Like @helensaramay I'd urge you not to link everything to diabetes. It'll only increase your stress levels. Of course, be checked out, but don't go on to auto-worry settings.

I hope it all clears up for you.

Reactions: Sarahsarah2312

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was at an eye appointment recently and asked by the doctor if I had thyroid issues as sometimes puffy eyes can be related to that.

I also was told years ago by a doctor colleague that puffy eyes can be a sign of renal issues.

So...is your thyroid and renal function ok?

Dark Horse

Haha thank you. I'm aware I could be over thinking. She prescribed them for 30 days and I stopped taking them after a few days when the swelling went down. It's happened a few times since, primarily after drinking a bit too much alcohol. Today it's happened out of nowhere. I guess I follow the docs advice properly and actually take the full course. I hadn't changed my diet or any products I use so was being cynical about the likelihood of it being an allergy
  1. People only become allergic to things they have been exposed to before. Someone can use the same product for years without any problems before developing an allergy to it.
  2. Allergens can be airborne. For example, pollen can cause puffy eyes in people who have hay fever.
  3. Puffy eyes is not a known symptom of diabetes or any of its complications.
Some info about puffy eyes:- https://www.allaboutvision.com/cosmetic/puffy-eyes.htm