Pulses.............

Nobbyk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Guys

Whats the score with pulses? Most here seem to mention Wheat, Oats and Grains, but not pulses on the LCHF diet?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Some pulses can be high in carbs. You need to use your meter to check whether you can or can't cope with the ones you choose to eat.

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find that I can manage pulses in moderate amounts. What I have to be careful of is that the rise in my blood sugars is slower/longer so my levels may be fine after 1 or 2 hours but are likely to continue rising steadily for a couple more hours therefore I may be too high after about 4 hours if I eat too much of them.

Reactions: 2 people

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
TBH I hardly ever eat them but I understand every1 is different and some can tolerate them more than others. Let us know how you get on!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As a relative measure, I find that most pulses require me to bolus to about 66%-75% of clear carbs, so they aren't all that good on an LCHF diet.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They're ok in smallish quantities. The lowest carb ones I've found are sold in Tescos. They're called Bijoux Vertes Lentis, sold in tins, they contain 6g (off the top of my head) carbs per 100g

Nobbyk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Looks like I'll give the pulses a miss for now, thanks for all your comments.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There seems to be quite a difference between ready bought pulses and the ones you soak and cook at home to the advantage of the latter.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Looks like I'll give the pulses a miss for now, thanks for all your comments.
Am ok with Puy lentils but always gain a 1lb the next day which goes away the day after so obviously impacts on water retention.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a ridiculous spike recently (+4) after having a medium sized portion of home made cassoulet.
So I'm avoiding them all, at the moment.

Might have a look for @SamJB 's Bijoux Vertes though...

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
I was analysing my BG readings yesterday and noticed one big spike post-prandial (6.5-9.). On checking my food diary I found I had had a portion of vegetable soup which I had made and which also included lentils (brown, raw, not canned) So I can assume they were the cause of the spike. Gutted, because I love them...

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was analysing my BG readings yesterday and noticed one big spike post-prandial (6.5-9.). On checking my food diary I found I had had a portion of vegetable soup which I had made and which also included lentils (brown, raw, not canned) So I can assume they were the cause of the spike. Gutted, because I love them...
If your lentils were pureed then that would have broken up the cell walls and made them far more easily digestible. (it's the same with any fruit or veg )
If you put lentil in the GI data base and order the results from high to low you find that the results for lentil soup are much higher than the results for plain boiled (dry) lentils.
http://www.glycemicindex.com/foodSearch.php

Reactions: 4 people

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Thanks for that, Phoenix. Useful information and I shall try again, leaving the lentils whole.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just discovered that lentils and pearl barley don't raise my levels at all, first food I've found that doesn't! :)