Pump advice

robadob

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
This is behalf of my 10 years old Daughter who's been type 1 since March this year.

She's managing well with the blood tests and jabs too, her friends at school are a great help too and the school itself gives her as much time as she needs for blood tests etc but she goes up to secondary school in a years time and Im thinking a pump maybe the way forward as its more discrete and a little less hassle .
My Daughter does too but would like to talk to someone her age that uses a pump to really get to know the ins and outs of using one so was wondering if I could start a thread here which she can then read the positives and negatives of using one.

As ever, all advice greatly received.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
This is behalf of my 10 years old Daughter who's been type 1 since March this year.

She's managing well with the blood tests and jabs too, her friends at school are a great help too and the school itself gives her as much time as she needs for blood tests etc but she goes up to secondary school in a years time and Im thinking a pump maybe the way forward as its more discrete and a little less hassle .
My Daughter does too but would like to talk to someone her age that uses a pump to really get to know the ins and outs of using one so was wondering if I could start a thread here which she can then read the positives and negatives of using one.

Hi, I have no experience with pumps but I'm bumping your thread so it might get some replies. There is also a subforum for pump users, and you might get more replies there.

danni2001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Awwww that's sounds better than I was I've had diabetes since I was 3 and I'm now 14 years old I have the diabetic pump if u need help with the pump feel free to ask me I've on the pump since 7 years old

Reactions: 2 people
Hi, this totally might not help, but my son has only just been able to go on a pump earlier this year - he is now 25 years old and we starting battling for a pump when he was 10! I would highly recommend it - his health this year has been immensely improved! If you would like to ask any questions I can ask him - I know he is much older but he went through his teens on injections - hated every minute of doing them and was frequently ill in hospital. I home-educated so we didn't have school problems but he did head off to university where he faced a number of problems.

If your daughter wants to try it - then go for it, depending on your health authority it might be a bit of a battle. If after giving it a good trial it really isn't working for her then you can always go back to injections. Good to hear the school is being supportive - some places aren't so good!!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

Simple thing to do is ask for a pump at the clinic and if the answer is yes then ask if it is possible for your daughter to meet some pumpers of her own age so she can see the pump in operation.

Reactions: 2 people