Pump as a wireless monitor

callumsfather

I have a 2 year old son Callum with Type 1 diagnosed 3 months ago.

Looking at the insulin pump option for him, at this stage using the wireless monitoring element only to monitor his blood levels especially at night wear he goes low. It would not be our intention at this stage to use the pump itself only the monitoring. This utilising the alarm function in order to alert us instead of continuous sleep interference for him in us testing him during the night. I would welcome others views or experiences on this.

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
You are fortunate indeed if the CGM has been agreed to by your PTC. I haven't yet heard of any other child for whom this has been agreed, not in our area anyway. It would be great if this was widely avavilable, but I understand the consumables are very expensive.....
Why wouldn't you consider the pump itself? It gives very tight control, including at night.
S

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Fortunately some HCPs care more about their patients than their PCT's financial shortcomings! Policy varies according to area too though.

Depending on the system you choose, there are some very effective (albeit unofficial) ways to drastically extend the life of the consumables, significantly reducing their overall cost. I only know about Medtronic CGM, but yell if you need advice about this system? I find it invaluable if quirky...

alfiea

I would seriously consider using the pump there are new ones on the market that alarm if the blood glucose drops especially at night and the pump when your trained on using it would keep your childs blood sugars more controllable and prevent complications in later life and it allows so much more flexibility, combined with the constant glucose monitor as well you'd be on a winner!!!!

callumsfather

Re: Pump as a wireless monitor Update

Thanks all
Following our recent Hospital visit our doctors and nurses are recommending that my son goes on a pump and the one with the monitoring function is one of the two they are recommending. 
We are awaiting the process now of a discussion with the reps from two companies showing off there products, and an interview (not sure who with).
Then the change over process will start. (new challenges and all that) Callum’s only 26 Months but if he takes to the pump like the injections then half the battle has been won. Fingers XXXX
I have an acquaintance in a neighbouring PCT that is having a hell of a battle to get his 5 year old grand daughter onto a pump. His PCT has a more financial view of the situation rather than what is best for the individual. We know that we are very lucky since the original diagnoses of Callum’s condition that the staff at our local hospital has been 1st class with there support while in hospital and after.
Can anyone suggest methods for my acquaintance and his family to pressurise the PCT to gain her a Pump? Im sure it will be much apresiated.