Pump Assessment Appointment

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone :)

I finally have my initial pump assessment appointment next week. However, my DSN has warned me that she thinks I am quite likely to get turned down because of my... colourful... mental health history (still take antidepressants now) making me seem like a 'high risk patient', who they would not be keen to trust with a pump.

Just to add to the fun, I also have a misbehaving heart, and a kidney problem currently under investigation.

So, is this likely to be the case, or is my DSN just trying to temper my expectations? I'm leaning towards just cancelling the appointment at the moment, because I don't want to waste everybody's time, and on top of that, my last Hba1c was 68 (I belive NICE recommends pump therapy in patients with an Hba1c above 69).

Thank you for your wisdom in advance

D

Deleted Account

In my mind, there are two things to be prepared for when requesting a pump
- your justification for the pump. This may be to reduce your HbA1C or to reduce hypos or because you have problems with injections or ... For example, my justification was to reduce hypos during exercise. I wouldn't get hung up on your Hb1AC of 68 if you have other reasons to take into consideration.
- your ability to manage a pump. A pump is hard work. You HAVE to carb count accurately and you need to be able to change your sets (which is more complicated than screwing a needle onto a pen. And you need to be able to cope when this goes wrong: it doesn't happen very often but it is unpleasant when your pump has not been giving you any basal for 4 or 5 hours.

If you prepare yourself with good arguments and proof that you can carb count, etc. your chances of success will be greatly increased. If you cancel your appointment you have zero chance of getting a pump ... don't give up before you start.
(And don't be put off by my comments - it's worth it.)

Reactions: EllsKBells

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@EllsKBells please please don't cancel the appointment. Please go. Talk through with them all your thoughts on why a pump will benefit you.

I too have a colourful such past. I am fortunate to have a supportive team.

I've got everything crossed for you.

Hugs.

Love Snapsy
:)

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't cancel @EllsKBells . Have you been in touch with input diabetes on issues with qualifying for a pump with a mental health history. It would be worth asking for their advice - I think they'd be a ble to offer some help and let you know what the position is

It's also worth having a look at their page on qualifying for a pump. It's not just about hba1c, it's about your life and what you need to manage your diabetes, have a look at the ABCD criteria listed to see what might apply to you - http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/alt-insulin-pumps/nhs-funding-pump/