Pump basal rate limits

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi :)
Does anyone know if there is a limit to how low a basal rate can be on a pump ? I’m going back on the pump but using the ‘untethered ‘ method where I will still inject approximately 75% of my basal with my levemir injection and the other 25% of basal via the pump. I prefer injected basal in case of pump or site failure as I know I always have background insulin. . However this method means my basal rates will be less than 0.1 units per hour . Not sure if this would effect the pump working effectively as I’ve heard the pump can get blocked with no basal running at all. I rang the pump company who could not give me an answer. She thought I was asking for dose advice which I wasn’t. I just wanted to know the lowest basal rate for my pump without causing any issues. Any thoughts ??

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Minimum rates vary per pump.
You will have to check your pump.

I have a basal pattern for exercise that includes an hour of zero basal.
But this is not prolonged.
Thanks :) . Yes my pump lets me set as low as 0.025 units per hour so I guess if it allows a setting that low it must be an allowable rate.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just a warning, a temp basal (e.g. 50% reduction) will NOT reduce your basal any further, at least with the pumps I've used.