Pump funding private/NHS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve got a consultation with a private hospital about starting insulin pump therapy. I know I will have to fund the pump myself by doing it privately and I know that there are of course other costs to run the pump as well such as infusion sets. I was wondering if because I have funded the pump myself privately and would be under the care of a consultant there if I would then be able to get infusion sets etc on prescription through the NHS or would I need to pay for them privately. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome to the forum heatherattwood.
I looked into buying a pump myself, the one recommended by the local NHS, and then the NHS funding the consumables, but was told this wasn't allowed. Hope you have more joy.
At a later date I got an NHS funded pump and consumables, and it's made a real difference.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I’ve got a consultation with a private hospital about starting insulin pump therapy. I know I will have to fund the pump myself by doing it privately and I know that there are of course other costs to run the pump as well such as infusion sets. I was wondering if because I have funded the pump myself privately and would be under the care of a consultant there if I would then be able to get infusion sets etc on prescription through the NHS or would I need to pay for them privately. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Unless the pump is approved by your diabetic team you will not get funding for supplies sorry to say. Do you meet the criteria for an insulin pump? What are your specific needs to have one?