supertuffs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Carbs, and people that think I shouldn't eat sugar because I'm a type 1
Hi all

I'm a type 1 diabetic and have been since 1998. In 2010 I was given a pump due to no hypo awareness.

4 years on and a recent visit to consultant and I am told I may have my pump taken off me due to lack of funding.

I have a few problems with this from my end. In the main my diabetes is under tight control. I have feeling back in my feet and I feel well again. Before the pump my readings were sporadic.

Has anyone else been in this position? Short of running into the sunset with my device is there anything I can do?

Thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Can they really do this after 4 years considering the big improvements it has made to your health, I would fight all the way to keep the pump and take this issue up with your PCT, MP and even your own gp.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I believe the decision must be made on clinical need, not cost. If you have a pump, surely that is now met, especially with the history you have given, so I would think you have a very strong argument with the PCT. Is it your GP or consultant that is saying they may take the pump away?

supertuffs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Carbs, and people that think I shouldn't eat sugar because I'm a type 1
Hi, thanks for your responses.

It's my consultant, despite my hypo awareness back and my health being so much better. Every time i go for a check up I am threatened with there being no funding. It's a real shame because I'm spot on with my control, I feel so much healthier.

I will take your advice and fight for it.

Many thanks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App