Pump or injections

Inanna

I have been diabetic type1 for 26 years and I have always injected my insulin but my blood sugar control is fairly poor. Would a pump be any better or easier?

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
I'd say it's worth a go if you feel it's come to the point where your control needs tightening up.

Do you carb count? I would obviously recommend getting on a course for that as they won't let you have a pump if you can't carb count first.

I was on injections for 12 years until I went on a pump, I wouldn't go back to it now, I only inject if my sugars are really high to bring me down quicker than the pump. since being on the pump though I've managed to reduce my HBA1c down to the 7's and combined with new diet I just reached the 6's at the start of the year so I'd say it's worth it as long as your willing to put the effort into it.

Have a chat with your diabetes team about the pro's and cons and see what you think, they might be able to show you one.

Good luck :D

Inanna

I did a carb counting course but couldn't quite get the hang of it. Sounds like I will need to work harder at it all

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Inanna said:
I have been diabetic type1 for 26 years and I have always injected my insulin but my blood sugar control is fairly poor. Would a pump be any better or easier?

Well if you've exhausted everything else I would certainly look to using a pump, very rarely do you read that those who have made the change want to go back to injections (although we have had a few on the forum over the years).

I've contemplated making the switch a few times myself but I'm quite happy at the moment as my control is good, I think the positives far outweigh the negatives and I would suggest you look into it Inanna !

Mark2605

Speaking from experience, the pump is better for me. You could always try it and if doesn't work out, go back to the injections. Good luck! :)