Pump question

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!
I have been accepted by my consultant to have the accu chek combo pump, this was about 2 weeks ago,
I was wondering what is the time frame from getting the go-ahead to actually getting it. Is it weeks, months or when?
It's awful that they say yes, and then nothing.... I hate being in the dark.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Susie,
Phone your diabetes nurse team - they'll know. Mine was maybe a month or two?

At my hospital they release new pumps on a schedule - about 3 releases per year. This is so they can get a big group of you starting together, supporting each other and all attending the same set up day. Don't know if it'll be the same for you but they should be able to tell you.

Other than that, you can always phone the manufacturer.

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!
Oh, thanks for that, they never tell you do they?? I should have asked, The consultant gave me an appointment in October to see how I was getting on with it, maybe I won't even have it then. lol.... oh well. be patient.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was approved in March.
I asked them in June what the update was and they said there was no funding at the moment and I was on a waiting list with one other.
I have clinic on 12th September so if I don't hear before then I will be giving them a grilling. I have been holding back A/L from work and they are starting to ask me if I will be using it soon. I'd also like to know one way or the other if it is going to happen this year or not.

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was approved in March.
I asked them in June what the update was and they said there was no funding at the moment and I was on a waiting list with one other.
I have clinic on 12th September so if I don't hear before then I will be giving them a grilling. I have been holding back A/L from work and they are starting to ask me if I will be using it soon. I'd also like to know one way or the other if it is going to happen this year or not.

Oh dear !! what area are you in? I hope mine doesn' take that long. although the DSN did say it won't happen over night,...

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am in Tayside.
I hope yours doesn't take so long.
Like I say, I'm going to give them a grilling in 4 weeks time but I do also realise that these things cost money and budgets need to balanced etc.

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

I have been accepted by my consultant to have the accu chek combo pump, this was about 2 weeks ago,
I was wondering what is the time frame from getting the go-ahead to actually getting it. Is it weeks, months or when?
It's awful that they say yes, and then nothing.... I hate being in the dark.

I was given the go ahead in June....but had to have a pump pre assesment appointment and then I didn't get the funding until August and I had the pump in October! :) I have same pump! :)

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was given the go ahead in June....but had to have a pump pre assesment appointment and then I didn't get the funding until August and I had the pump in October! :) I have same pump! :)

Looks like I need to be a little more patient. lol :)

D

Deleted member 83869

Looks like I need to be a little more patient. lol :)
I guess it depends on the clinic though lol but don't worry your time will come! It maybe that they are waiting for Roche etc and then they have to wait to see when I roche trainee guy can come in to teach you!

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I guess it depends on the clinic though lol but don't worry your time will come! It maybe that they are waiting for Roche etc and then they have to wait to see when I roche trainee guy can come in to teach you!

Ah yes, she did say they come and do it from Roche. yes it all takes time. I hope it's not too long, I'd like to get it sorted by christmas at least. My team here in Northants are quite good, fingers crossed a?

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
D

Deleted member 83869

Ah yes, she did say they come and do it from Roche. yes it all takes time. I hope it's not too long, I'd like to get it sorted by christmas at least. My team here in Northants are quite good, fingers crossed a?
I should imagine you will have it by xmas! :)

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I plucked up the courage to call the diabetic team today to find out what's happening - good job I did.. the consultant I saw has now left! and there's no letter, (they have to have it in writing) re the approval, and my DSN is on holiday! I'm so frustrated with it . So I they (the office) left a message for the dsn to call me when she's back off holiday. now what, I wonder?

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
but your consultant must have left some notes about how he recommended a pump for you in his write up notes? Get a copy of that and then you're a bit further on. Always chase with hospitals in my experience, at least then you are in control, not them ! Who was the consultant you saw? Was he he/she head honcho - if not, then you can find out the email address of the head honcho by looking at their website. Explain your situation to her/him, at least another way of getting it moving. Best of luck :)

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The consultant I saw wasn't the head guy, I'd never seen her before, but she seemed so nice, and on leaving said " 'll send the dsn a letter" and make an appointment for 3 months to let me know how you're getting on.. duh? then she left! I hope this will be ok and they'l still approve it. I'll wait until I speak to my dsn when she's back from holiday, I'm sure they forget that it's people's lives they're messing with when they do this sort of thing.

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
Hi, yes couldnt agree with you more. id want to push it with the consultant in charge of the unit as well, ok your dsn is on holiday it will take her another week to get back to speed etc and then you're still waiting. V frustrating for you.

Susan1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was assessed and had all initial groundwork done about 5 years ago and then heard nothing! Was told funding wasn't available but other patients have had a pump fitted since then. I now have end stage kidney failure and awaiting a transplant. Can't help feeling that things may have been different if I'd had the pump five years ago! Would've been cheaper for NHS too! So keep pressing and pushing for the pump! Don't let it lie. I should have pushed for it and really wish I had!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got the go ahead in march, was told I would be on the pump at the end of the year but I got lucky and got a place at the start on July. It can take quite a while!

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh dear !! what area are you in? I hope mine doesn' take that long. although the DSN did say it won't happen over night,...

Keep chasing it up to make sure they've not forgotten about you.
I thought I had been forgotten about but got a letter with start dates last week.