Pump start

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi everybody

I started on an insulin pump today, and that's made me go and look around on the web.

About me: I was diagnosed as type 1 on 06/01/03, and yes the date has stuck in my memory. I figure I was probably diabetic for about a year before diagnosis, judging by my thirst (but my kidney function has always been bad) and my sudden vision change (moronic optician said a change of a dioptre happening overnight wasn't a problem). I walked into the GP's office, said I think I've got diabetes, and one urine sample later she was on the phone to the hospital telling them they were going to admit me immediately. At admittance my blood glucose was over 40, and ketones off their scale of measurement.

A month later, I needed one or two units of insulin a day to keep stable, and my GP is thinking I'm type 2. (Metformin does truly vile things to my intestines). Six months later, I need about 20u per day, and my GP refers me to a diabetes clinic (where the dietician tells me to eat more carbs). I'm clinically depressed with a couple of suicide attempts on my record, and the first thing the consultant does is tell me that an overdose of insulin is a quick and painfree death, and acts quicker when injected into a vein. Didn't go back there.

Two years later, I need about 50u per day, and we try another referral. This place, the doc sees the slowly increasing insulin, orders gad and c peptide tests, and says aha, you're type LADA. Been very happy with the care at this place, and about four years ago they started enquiring if I thought a pump might be an option. I had what I assume is a normal trepidation about a permanent needle and being attached all the time.

Before Xmas, the doc sat me down and explained I needed to go on a pump. My HbA1c was over 12, I was taking 1000-1500u per day and was too scared to take more. I then successfully put it off a while longer by having an acute kidney infection, and then three tooth root canals, but this only worked until today.

So that's me. Brand new pump user. Currently with bg levels as high as a kite (since the doc halved the insulin amounts for safety). Wondering how I'm meant to sleep with pump attached by thin tubing. Absolutely convinced I'm going to forget the thing on one of my many bathroom trips overnight. New stabber does so exceedingly well, there is blood everywhere, but that, at least, I can fix.

Nice to meet you all.
Sarah

Crumbs, just seen how much I wrote! Please put it down to the high bg.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi everybody

I started on an insulin pump today, and that's made me go and look around on the web.

About me: I was diagnosed as type 1 on 06/01/03, and yes the date has stuck in my memory. I figure I was probably diabetic for about a year before diagnosis, judging by my thirst (but my kidney function has always been bad) and my sudden vision change (moronic optician said a change of a dioptre happening overnight wasn't a problem). I walked into the GP's office, said I think I've got diabetes, and one urine sample later she was on the phone to the hospital telling them they were going to admit me immediately. At admittance my blood glucose was over 40, and ketones off their scale of measurement.

A month later, I needed one or two units of insulin a day to keep stable, and my GP is thinking I'm type 2. (Metformin does truly vile things to my intestines). Six months later, I need about 20u per day, and my GP refers me to a diabetes clinic (where the dietician tells me to eat more carbs). I'm clinically depressed with a couple of suicide attempts on my record, and the first thing the consultant does is tell me that an overdose of insulin is a quick and painfree death, and acts quicker when injected into a vein. Didn't go back there.

Two years later, I need about 50u per day, and we try another referral. This place, the doc sees the slowly increasing insulin, orders gad and c peptide tests, and says aha, you're type LADA. Been very happy with the care at this place, and about four years ago they started enquiring if I thought a pump might be an option. I had what I assume is a normal trepidation about a permanent needle and being attached all the time.

Before Xmas, the doc sat me down and explained I needed to go on a pump. My HbA1c was over 12, I was taking 1000-1500u per day and was too scared to take more. I then successfully put it off a while longer by having an acute kidney infection, and then three tooth root canals, but this only worked until today.

So that's me. Brand new pump user. Currently with bg levels as high as a kite (since the doc halved the insulin amounts for safety). Wondering how I'm meant to sleep with pump attached by thin tubing. Absolutely convinced I'm going to forget the thing on one of my many bathroom trips overnight. New stabber does so exceedingly well, there is blood everywhere, but that, at least, I can fix.

Nice to meet you all.
Sarah

Hi everybody

Nice to meet you all.
Sarah

Welcome to the forum Sarah. That was a story worth telling. I found out I was diabetic after a month of persistent illness. I collapsed at home and woke up at the hospital some hours later. I was in a state of shock and asked the doctor if I could recuperate at home. He told me, if I went home I would probably die within 24 hours. The bgl's were off the scale, blood pressure was 265/130, and I had suffered a heat attack during the transport.

12 years later, (and many adventures) I am getting on with my life. I hope things go well for you from here. At least now you have a support team 24/7. Good luck on your journey.