1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Pump upgrade

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Worriedmum26, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Worriedmum26

Worriedmum26 Type 1 · Member

Hi everyone hope everyone is good, I needed some advice my son has been on Medtronic pump for fours years he’s now 10 years old ,today I received a email from hospital saying his pump needs upgrading and I could have another Medtronic or a
    Omnipod DASH (patch pump) So I checked online and it seems like a good pump ,I just wanted to hear from others experience if they or their children have it,what’s it like ,I know it’s tube free ,does it leave scarring too ,is it comfortable ,is it reliable it says it’s virtually pain free ,is that true ,would you recommend it ,which would you choose?can it do everything Medtronic pump can do like temp basal etc
    Thank you for reading and I would really appreciate any reply

2. sleepster

sleepster Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Worriedmum26, I've only had Medtronic pumps so can't offer any opinions on the Omnipod I'm afraid, but I was told by my DSN that they aren't as accurate with smaller doses. She did mention a study had been done but didn't give any details :nailbiting: if your son is on small doses you might want to have a look and see if you can find the study and have a read. I know lots of children do use the Omnipod.
    For me, I would go with Medtronic, but it's a personal choice, only you and your son can decide what's right for him :)

3. Worriedmum26

Worriedmum26 Type 1 · Member

Thanks for replying ,il try to find that study ,I’m just really torn as we do have a routine and don’t want to mess it up and then I’m thinking if there is something more useful or help ful I would not mind making another routine

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook