Pump use in labour

retsil99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there,
I have been using a Medtronic pump with combined CGM for just over 2 years now, and am due to have my labour induced later this week. Does anyone have any experiences of using a pump during labour? My community midwife seems to be terrified at the prospect, but I am more terrified at the prospect of leaving the drip to the medics! My consultant has been understanding and is allowing me to continue to use the pump for as long as possible, but any helpful tips/hints would be useful!
Thanks,
Sarah

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey Sarah!

I don't have any experience on this subject myself as I'm not yet pregnant but I'm sure someone will be along to help soon, I've seen many girls on here say they kept their pump on during labour, I can't believe your midwife is terrified of you using it that's not very supportive of her! You know your body best, as far as I've read on previous posts as long as the labour goes smoothly there's no reason you can't keep it on. Best of luck to you hope your labour goes brilliantly :) Abbie xx

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
I'm hoping to do the same as you as I also have pump and cgms but I'm only 17weeks so a little behind you!
Have a look at the thread below by Hails, not long now... Pitsgate has posted her experience of using her pump in labour and even managed to avoid a sliding scale in theatre! She seemed very happy to share the experience with us all.
Ignore your midwife, if your consultant is happy to go with you using the pump then that is fine. I would recommend making sure they have documented their support of this somewhere in your notes with a plan of what to do if you're not able to keep good control. Is your partner good with your pump and BMs etc? Pitsgate seemed to rely on her partner especially in the later stages of labour, ie when you are preoccupied with pushing!
I wish you loads of luck with it! Do you know what your having? I would be really grateful if you would come and tell us how you got on afterwards.
Love Jess
X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App