PUMPING AWAY

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
Hi im Toni im 23 and have been diabetic for nearly 10 years and would love someone to talk to who is on a pump so i can work out whether it may suit me im on at least 5 injections and tests a day and the bruising is getting annoying and the amount of needles and test strips i go through is stooopid. I hve requested info from pump manufacturers and they seem brilliant and would suit me perfectly i have a very high hba1c and cant seem to get it down i have hd dka 3 times. I no fun times. I have been speaking to girl in usa who is a pumper and she is similar age build and lifestyle to me nd she has said it has changed her life so wish me luck in gettng a pump

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi

Welcome to the forum. I am moving your post to the pumping part of the forum and hope someone there can help you.

Regards

Doug

leahshort

Hi Toni im Leah slightly older than you at 30 and have been on the pump for 8months, diabetic 18 years. It was for the same reasons as you that i switched to the pump. The bruising from injecting was looking like I had been beaten up all the time. I had in my head that going to the pump would be a quick fix that everything would be perfect. It wasn't quite like that. Don't get me wrong I would never go back to injecting now that I have changed over. It will take a lot of dedication and time to get the results you want. When on injections I have to admit I didn't take care of myself, didn't test as I should do and as a result had high HBA1C. I have gone down to 8 since being on the pump so that in itself is brilliant. The pump takes a while to get used to being on you all the time but I dont even notice its on me now after such a short time. It involves a lot of fingerpricking initially to get your hourly dosage right and then settles down. For a busy working mum of 2 young children the pump is a godsend once running smoothly it can fit any lifestyle. Really hope this helps you towards your decision. It is an amazing piece of technology and gives a lot more freedom than injecting. (and just incase you weren't convinced ,compared to your 5 injections a day its 1 every 1to2 days yay)

jopar

Hi Toni

Welcome to the forum..

I've been pumping not far off 5 years now and I would land myself in front of a judge if anybody tried to take my pump of me!

The manufacturers blurb makes the pump sound as if it's a plug and go to perfect control, but as Leah says it does require a commitment to testing and setting up of the pump, sadly it's not quite as simple as that, as the pump is a computer, and like a computer it's only as good as the information/data the operator puts in, and you need to carb count...

What I did, because sadly I had fight a 3 1/2 year battle to get funding which meant I had to build my own case for it...

I studied insulin pump therapy, John Walsh has an excellent book called Pumping Insulin, I learnt the theory behind pumping, and how to use a pump.. Then every 3 months when I saw my consultant, I would have a print out of my BG's... Which would have various numbered highlights, to problems such as hypo's... Then in my other file I would have a corresponding note, describing what had caused it, such sudden change in work load after I injected, then what and how I could have used the pump features to avoid or lessen the impact of that occasion etc..

The advantage of doing this, was a brilliant pump start....

But in most cases it takes around 6 months or more to start really seeing the benefits, this is because when you start pumping, everything is a new situation that you need to work out your tactics for, Leah has reached the stage now, she's tucked a lot of information under her belt, so faced with a new situation she has more data to guide her with the tactics... So more likely to get a good outcome.

I think Leah must be on Steel Cannula's which needs to be changed at least every 2 days, I use Teflon so I can go a day longer, changing every 3 days..