Pumping: Is it right that my diabetes is still not under control after nine years.

Liz Leigh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The dafne course. I have been on the pump for 16 months and although my sugars are slightly better it's still so confusing when people and books are saying different things

Reactions: donnellysdogs

jonniey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same here poorly controlled diabetes for almost 9 year's but I was really carelessregret always comes too late.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Liz, if you have to constantly tweak your basals and carb ratios, you may benefit from adopting a "sugar surfing" approach.

This is my current approach to diabetes. Basically, I don't worry too much about getting dosages and basals right; instead I take a guess and then take more insulin or snack later depending on what my blood sugar is doing. A CGM is very helpful in this and can massively improve your quality of life; otherwise you need to test frequently.

pwzero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Basal testing
If you didn't have to bolus for extra food on injections like other users said, could it be that your basal was too high. When I changed to a pump I halved my basal after proper testing and suddenly had to start bolus for everything. Very interested that you were told not to bolus for fruit. That doesn't seem right. Also very interested to read about bolus for protein. I've not heard about that before.

Jacquelineann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is very interesting and just what I am looking for. Despite following instructions of the medics to the letter, I still find it nigh on impossible to keep the diabetes controlled. (So I get told off - "Jacqueline you must weigh your food - do you realise that Jacqueline? You obviously don't understand. Let's see now, if you just do XYZ all will work fine :)" ) I have recently discovered though that my father, who was diabetic for over 60 years - type1 and incidently a doctor - had brittle diabetes, and so other family members (also medics) have just agreed with me that this could be what I am facing. Now to try and get that across to my diabetic team :) My question was going to be "do other people find it nigh on impossible - well actually TOTALLY impossible to stick between the magic figures for even one day, despite doing absolutely everything they are supposed to?"