Pumping through menopause

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So it looks like I'm starting an earlyish menopause and it's starting to cause me some BG issues. For at least a year I have been finding that in the middle of the month (not during my period but a few weeks before) I suddenly get very insulin resistant and have high BG. When it first happened I thought it was the pump or bad sets etc but then I realised the pattern. Every month my BG would suddenly rocket for no reason and at that point I have been using a temp basal of 30-40% for the days until it passes.

As time has gone on it did increase to 50% sometimes and my boluses needing increasing as well.

Yesterday I did a set change and then in the evening the BG rise started. This time it was much more severe and I had to put 100% increase on. Overnight I had terrible BG and struggled to keep it below 10-12 (very high for me). I thought maybe it's the site not being great so just to rule it out I've changed that. On removing the old cannula it wasn't kinked or in a vein or anything.

The worst part is my boluses don't appear to be working at all. I should be having terrible hypos with the amount of IOB. I'm on 100% extra and have only been able to eat a lump of cheese and a grapefruit so as not to make the high BG higher.

Has anyone else experienced such insulin resistance from their hormones? Any tips on the best way to manage it? I am quite worried that my insulin needs will increase beyond what the pump can deliver.

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Mushy pea, I am experiencing exactly the same. Sadly my consultant said there has been little research in this area.
Like you, mid month I start getting unexplained highs, which I have to be very 'heavy handed' with. This continues until my period arrives, then I have to dramatically reduce my insulin for approximately a week.

My month is split into three.
Days 1 - 7 I'm highly sensitive and reduce background and bolus.

Days 2 - 14 I start becoming resistant and begin increasing (on a daily basis) both background and bolus.

Days 14 - until bleeding I anticipate being very resistant and increase my background and bolus ratios by 25%.

It's such a pain. I'm currently on MDI but I've got funding for my first pump and I was hoping it would be easier to control with a pump.
I'm confident to start increasing my insulin by day 14 regardless of my results, most of the time it's the right decision and results remain within target.
Hope that makes sense! I'm not good with using the correct terminology.
Christine
Type1 for 38years.
MDI but stating pump therapy soon!

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Although I am on MDI I experienced much the same. I found that earl grey tea helped both the symptoms and the cause. It doesn't work for everyone though. On a side note about the middle of the month I still crave chocolate and I am well past the menopause now!

Zebs29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So it looks like I'm starting an earlyish menopause and it's starting to cause me some BG issues. For at least a year I have been finding that in the middle of the month (not during my period but a few weeks before) I suddenly get very insulin resistant and have high BG. When it first happened I thought it was the pump or bad sets etc but then I realised the pattern. Every month my BG would suddenly rocket for no reason and at that point I have been using a temp basal of 30-40% for the days until it passes.

As time has gone on it did increase to 50% sometimes and my boluses needing increasing as well.

Yesterday I did a set change and then in the evening the BG rise started. This time it was much more severe and I had to put 100% increase on. Overnight I had terrible BG and struggled to keep it below 10-12 (very high for me). I thought maybe it's the site not being great so just to rule it out I've changed that. On removing the old cannula it wasn't kinked or in a vein or anything.

The worst part is my boluses don't appear to be working at all. I should be having terrible hypos with the amount of IOB. I'm on 100% extra and have only been able to eat a lump of cheese and a grapefruit so as not to make the high BG higher.

Has anyone else experienced such insulin resistance from their hormones? Any tips on the best way to manage it? I am quite worried that my insulin needs will increase beyond what the pump can deliver.

Hi I think I may be starting. I am still having my cycle but in last 4 weeks I have gone much more insulin resistant. Increased my basal by 20% so far but every time I recheck it seems to have gone up again. I have weight gain on my stomach and don't seem to cope with stress so well making me exhausted. I am 50.

sassycat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm quite relieved to read all your posts, as I've not really found any useful figures to compare with. I reprogrammed a new higher basal as the insulin resistance has gradually increased over the last year or so, and I'm still running on 20% extra generally on top of that. I'm now 50, and I'm just hoping it will settle down in time, as I can suddenly drop, and then I spend a day hypoing often till I realise what's happening and reduce the basal! Oh well, doubtless I'll learn in the end.

D

Deleted Account

I'm of THAT age and many of friends are complaining of hot flushes and the like.
However, I am either a late starter (or stopper) or experiencing pre-menopause without any symptoms.
I am very active with walking, cycling, climbing and gym. I have read that this can reduce the symptoms of menopause. Whilst, they usually mean the hot-flushes, I wonder whether it can also reduce the additional insulin doses.