Pumpkin seeds

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I need help from our brothers and sisters over the pond or those here more experienced than me

Having carved the obligatory pumpkins with the kids tonight I’ve laboriously separates the seeds. (Rookie error not to separate them after scooping out - instead of waiting for all the carving bits to be mixed in too). Inspiration hit in the sorting and put the bit straight in a large bowl of water and the seeds float better than the flesh and skin.

Next problem. What do I do with them? I eat loads more seeds generally now and don’t want to waste them but how and what can I do to make them tasty. I’m making a big assumption that they’re ok to eat on low carb.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Roasted might be the obvious option? 10-12 minutes in a hot overn.
They are a great source of iron, magnesium and zinc plus loads of other stuff... And yes only 5g of carb in 28g.
However the ones you have scooped out are not sheeld like the ones you get in a supermarket so may be pretty tough. Worth an experiment I hope.

Hupio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Put them on a baking tray with a bit of olive oil. salt, pepper, chilli, or whatever and roast until crispy.

Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are a great source of iron, magnesium and zinc plus loads of other stuff... And yes only 5g of carb in 28g.
However the ones you have scooped out are not sheeld like the ones you get in a supermarket so may be pretty tough. Worth an experiment I hope.

That’s around 25% carbs! That’s high in my book. But then I guess they’re pretty light. I’ll make sure to measure portions I think.

Yeah if it’s a disaster I’ve lost nothing but a little time

D

Deleted member 308541

That’s around 25% carbs! That’s high in my book. But then I guess they’re pretty light. I’ll make sure to measure portions I think.

Yeah if it’s a disaster I’ve lost nothing but a little time
I have often looked at packets of pumpkin seeds in the shops, the carbs in them put me off as well. I used to get stuck into them when I was younger though.

One of the girls in the upstairs office at the meat wholesalers I worked at used to bring them in. She sun dried them after getting rid of the klingons when you get them out of the pumpkin.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Birds like them if you decide not to eat them yourself.

Reactions: HSSS

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you sure about those carbs? Sainsbury's quote 4gm carbs per 100gm and Tesco quote less than 2gm per 100gm for pumpkin seeds.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m taking a look around on the web and they do vary enormously site to site. I’m wondering if it’s shelled or not or possibly carving verses eating varieties. Or misinformation at one end of the scale being spread (but which end?)

feniangirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you sure about those carbs? Sainsbury's quote 4gm carbs per 100gm and Tesco quote less than 2gm per 100gm for pumpkin seeds.
I eat roasted pumpkin seeds frequently as a snack in the evening. For some reason they help to keep my BG in check. Here is an article by a dietitian regarding why pumpkin seeds are good for T2. She says they contain 3g carbs per 1/4 cup, which is a fair amount, especially if you eat them one at a time - rather than by the handful. You'll never find everyone agreeing on everything. Perhaps you should just give them a try and see how you react. Good luck