Purchasing a CGM

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
Hi,

I'm lucky to be able to ring the hospital and request to wear the sensor for a week when I go camping/hiking but was just wondering can you buy them yourself and if so where do you buy them from? I've been all over the internet but without success. My last resort after this is to contact Medtronic direct (that's who I'm with for my pump) to see if I can buy off them.

thanks,

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Thanks Catherine that's really helpful, I'll see if I can get some help towards it. :D

Faith*

Dislikes
Ooh I'm so excited. Unfortunately not eligable for any help towards the cost as I still have hypo awareness and am relatively stable controlled but I rang Medtronic to find out how much they were and they've quoted a starter pack for £685 and then refil cartridges ar £267 for a pack of 5.

So I've put my name down on a list and am awaiting approval. Fingers crossed as I love the sensor, makes life so much easier.

ivinghoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
professional football
Funnily enough I have just been looking at self funding a CGM. I wore medtronic`s ipro2 sensor for a week... you dont see the data real time but it does record your levels for your dsn to use and advise you on.
In my case I was going low for a long time overnight. I have virtual no hypo awareness left obviously i know why now. But whenever I checked previously my sugars always seemed ok and i would wake up high or ok with a rising level through the morning and into mid afternoon.
I have been checking my bloods 8 times a day but even with that amount of testing I was missing the lows overnight. A bit embarrassing really as I thought I was sorted.

Anyways the Dexcom G4 system, which is the standalone version costs as follows
DexCom G4 Starter Kit (Includes receiver (results displayed in mmol/l), transmitter, DM Studio software, charger and travel adaptors, user manuals, PC down load cable) £975.00 (ex. VAT)
G4 7-day Sensors (pack of 4) £250.00 (ex. VAT)
Delivery charge £7.50 per order
So it isnt cheap but looking around most people use the G4 sensors for an average 14 days with very good accuracy
Hope this is of use
Alan

Faith*

Dislikes
They're definitely not cheap but I do think they're worth it. My pump is a paradigm veo so my sensor is an enlite. I've place my order now so hopefully I should have it in a week or two. Can't wait now.
Are you going ahead with buying one then Alan?

ivinghoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
professional football
Yes I think so..
However I do not have a pump yet but have approval and the training etc should be starting quite soon. I've missed so much as shown by the week's data when I wore the CGM
Pump wise I should have a choice between the Veo and Animas vibe, I prefer the Veo looking at the guides for the pumps, I almost certain I wont get a cgm as well
The dexcom G4 has had a lot of positive user reports regarding sensor life and accuracy. The colour display is a plus for me as I work outside for the majority of my time and I have trouble reading the lcd screen of my normal meter in sunshine when it does actually shine that is :p
I emailed my DSN this morning asking for her advice/opinion on them but no reply as yet. If she doesnt have any adverse opinions on the dexcom I`ll go for one.
Honestly though I think either one will be great to have
IMHO they should be standard issue by clinics for anyone just starting up using insulin and sorting out their dosage.

VickiT11979

I got an Animas Vibe pump a month ago (my 2nd Animas pump) & then bought the CGM starter kit for £500 which is the transmitter & 4 sensors.

The Dexcom G4 sensors are used, but Animas subsidises the dose so you pay £186 for 4, rather than £250, and they don't charge postage. The transmitter has a limited lifespan so needs replacing at some point - I've heard from other users that it lasted 9-12months.

My 1st sensor is still going strong after 25days, which I'm amazed by, and I've not noticed any deterioration in accuracy. I've put Opsite flexifix over the top as the dressing supplied peels off after about 8 days.

I crunched the numbers before choosing my pump & worked out Animas with Dexcom would be cheaper than Medtronic & Enlite due to the sensors being cheaper & lasting longer - plus it's a good pump & probably more accurate CGM.

Medtronic are due to bring out a new pump later this year I think, and may have a new CGM system to go with it. I'd recommend contacting the companies direct for information on their systems & prices, they were great with me.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
VickiT11979 I have just got the Animas Vibe after my 2020 screen broke and have been thinking about a sensor. Did you have to go through your DSN or did you buy straight from Animas? Did you need or get offered training or a trial? I am worried that I might spend all that money and not like it or not be able to wear it.

ivinghoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
professional football
The new medtronic pump is due to have predictive low glucose suspend on it which means if the predictive alert occurs the pump will suspend insulin delivery so you shouldnt go into a hypo which is well worth waiting for imho. Its due "this summer". I havent been able to find out if the enlite sensor is changing though.
I had contact with my DSN and shes` sorting out a few weeks use of the medtronic guardian so I've put the dexcom on hold for now (I phoned the G4 suppliers this morning and theyre currently waiting for delivery from Dexcom at this time) so its kind of worked out ok for me which is unusual to say the least :)

Faith*

Dislikes
The medtronic pump has that option with the current enlite sensor I believe but do you mean it will do it without the sensor attached? I've had the sensor from the hospital for 4 days now, I love it. I've never had such excellent control. One day they'll have all this in one ey!

VickiT11979

Hi mushypeabrain - yes, the Animas local rep gave me 2 sensors on a free trial which lasted me for a month, and I decided to buy it after that - I've heard the same from a few other people & think this is pretty standard.if you contact Animas they should be able to give you the number of your rep, or your hospital DSN should have it.

My hospital also lent me a Medtronic Veo pump for a bit & Medtronic gave me 1 sensor to try. The system currently has the low glucose suspend feature, it's not a future development - unless you mean the fact that it does it when a hypo is predicted? I think currently it suspends if you actually are hypo, so reduces the time you spend being hypo if you don't wake up.
Are you saying it'll now suspend the basal earlier, before you are actually low?

My problem with the Medtronic was that the first night I had it it woke me 3 times with low alarms when my fingerstick BG was fine, which put me off. If it suspended my basal when it predicted a hypo but I wasn't low it would worsen my control. I only had 1 sensor though, so can't really give an informed opinion.

VickiT11979

Sorry, realised didn't answer all your questions!
I discussed buying the CGM at my pump clinic appt & the consultant liaised with the pump DSN & we arranged a meeting with the nurse & the rep where I was shown how to insert & use the sensor. I met again after the trial to download my CGM data & discuss how it had gone, then when I got my Vibe I rang the Animas order line to order the starter kit. They took about 10days to set up an account for me & I had to sign & return a VAT exemption form.

sarahjane92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I self fund my Medtronic cgm and its pretty simple to do, I just use them every now and then to check how I'm doing or if I'm sick or changing something, definitely worth the money if you can afford it. You can make each sensor last longer too by disconnecting and reconnecting when it says its time is up, usually can get 12 days out of them, which although not recommended by Medtronic, makes a big difference to me. Never had any issues since the sensor wire/foil is so thin :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Faith*

Dislikes
I'm just waiting for my starter kit from medtronic. I'm so excited. I'm not eligable to get one free or get any help towards it so i've self funded, I think it's definitely worth it though as we go hiking every now and then and it's so much easier than having to stop and check my sugars every 30 mins to an hour. Plus it's great to monitor if your on the correct basals as sarahjane92 says

I can't wait for them to realise a pump with it all built in, I think they have them in America so I guess where not too far behind! One day! :D :D