Purchasing Insulin while travelling as visitor to the UK

Ian Grainger

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
My wife and I will be visiting the UK in 2015 (having come to Australia as children almost 60 years ago).
My wife is Type 1 diabetic and has been insulin dependent for 35 years.
We expect to be in the Uk for 8-12 weeks and can not carry that much insulin with us.
How do we purchase insulin in the UK?
We have been told that her Australian prescriptions won't be recoginised.
How do we find out whether her current insulin products are available in the UK?
We are sure there has to be a rational solution but the local diabetes association and doctors do not have any suggestion other than to present at a hospital in the UK and commence the whole diagnosis process from scratch.
Suggestions and contacts will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You Ian Grainger

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The son of a friend of mine (type 1) has just set off for the joys of working at an American Summer Camp :woot:

He'll be gone 3 months, and managed to take all his supplies with him - insulin, testing kit and strips, insulin, etc. he bought a travelling cool box and knew there would be access to a fridge at the other end.

His doctor was very understanding about providing the prescriptions for the extra Medes before he left.

Could you try something similar?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with trying to bring the insulin with you, I often travel to the UK from France for indeterminate stays without notice and take insulin with me in a frio bag. ( I've had to do it by train or coach which can take nearly 24 hours travel so not the short time it sounds) Many of the airlines will also allow an extra piece of hand luggage for medication (check with them)
Also contact the Australian HIgh commission, Australia does have an agreement with the UK which doesn't normally cover ongoing treatment but does cover treatment if a doctor believes a condition will significantly worsen if you are not treated promptly. (well that's the case with no insulin!)
I'm sure though that there will be other travellers with similar concerns http://smarttraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/United_Kingdom
Otherwise you could see a GP on a private basis (there are also private walk in centres in London and some other big cities )http://www.visitbritain.com/en/Travel-tips/Traveller-tips/Medical-and-health-information.htm
and as the article above says NHS walk in centres that are available in many places will be able to issue prescriptions.
I've twice had to use these (for illness not for insulin) and although I have a European card which they should take note of (so the UK can claim back the cost) , they have ignored it and treated me as if I still lived in the UK.
I don't think hospitals would be too happy to see you unless it was a real emergency like DKA !

czj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You didn't say where in the Uk you will be visiting, so just to point out the situation in Scotland might differ slightly to the rest of the UK. This page gives a summary, with a pdf you can download with the details.

http://www.hris.org.uk/patient-information/information-about-health-rights/health-care-for-overseas-visitors/health-care-in-scotland-for-overseas-holidaymakers/

Some NHS services in Scotland are free for people from Australia, though you would need to show your wife's passport etc. I know our local surgery gears up for an influx of temporary registrations as we have a lot of visitors from the USA and Australia researching their family history.

I am sure if you post what type of insulin your wife uses, we could check if it is available.