Pus at pump site

Rnr1975

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Only on one side of my abdomen when I take out my old giving set I get 1-2ml of pus any ideas of cause. I am using mini med mio 30 giving sets, attached to minimed 780g pump

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Is it clear or milky coloured pus.?
I only say that as occasionally on removing my cannula there is what I perceive as just unabsorbed insulin.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you contacted your diabetes nurse or doctor about this?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Have you any pain, or swelling on the side of your abdomen that creates the pus? Do you have anything, a buckle, change in a pocket etc that could be causing pressure on or interaction with the pump that side? Might be worth asking for a GP examination of the area too.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
If any site hurts or swells, you just need to change it out. “When in doubt change it out”

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know nothing about pumps, but in your position, I would get a GP appointment, explain the problem and suggest that if they gave you the equipment to take a swab, you could seal it up and hand it in at the surgery to be sent off and checked for some sort of infection next time this happens. I think it would be good to rule this out.

I suspect this means you need to talk to a GP who knows from previous experience that you're not an idiot and will trust what you say. Just a suggestion.

Reactions: lucylocket61