Pushing for a monitor

cdunbar86

As said in previous posts I've just found out I'm T2. Having done a LOT of reading, especially tonight do you think it's worthwhile for me to push for a machine from my GP to test my BG levels I'm new to this and serious about my numbers and weight loss. When I was taken in in January my level was 18.4 and was put on Metformin immediately but I've know way of knowing if it's came down. What are my chances if I tell my GP I'm serious about my numbers and it's crucial to my learning to control?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's always worth pushing for a meter, but don't be surprised if you don't get one

Sent from my iPad

Reactions: 2 people

suenjames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do what i did and keep booking appointments with the DN to have your blood sugar took she soon gave me a monitor to check my own

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Do what i did and keep booking appointments with the DN to have your blood sugar took she soon gave me a monitor to check my own
Brilliant advice! Which I'd thought of that! If all else fails go on ebay/amazon and buyan sd codefree monitor . You will probably have to buy the replacement strips on line but at a cost of £7 as opposed to £25 which it costs if you buy a meter in the chemists and then need to buy the strips in the chemists. Good luck!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Thanks for the advice, didn't have much luck through the week getting one. Told me I'd worry myself silly with it due to there being no chance of my levels going low

If it doesn't wind you up to much, there's a thread excuses why you shouldn't test which may bring a wry smile to your face!

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok that is a fair comment from them but diabetes works the other way as well your bg levels will spike high and that can be more dangerous than hypo's. You also need to find what foods make your bg spike if you can afford it I would self fund. Just so as you can see what's going on with your bloods

Sent from my iPad

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that buying my own meter and strips and showing the doctor that the readings were helping me with improving my diet got me a prescription for strips.

But I do like the pester the nurse idea!:playful::playful::playful:

Robbity

dave1961

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just go to one of the diabetic meter websites like www.lifescan.co.uk/‎ or www.accu-chek.com/‎ , fill in a form and they send you a free meter and replace them with the latest ones every 3 years.. ive just been upgraded from Accu chek compact plus to the strip free Accu chek Mobile BG system, it just arrived in the post then just ask you surgary to prescribe the cartridges and needles.

C

catherinecherub

Just go to one of the diabetic meter websites like www.lifescan.co.uk/‎ or www.accu-chek.com/‎ , fill in a form and they send you a free meter and replace them with the latest ones every 3 years.. ive just been upgraded from Accu chek compact plus to the strip free Accu chek Mobile BG system, it just arrived in the post then just ask you surgary to prescribe the cartridges and needles.

If only it was that simple. Many Type2s are denied testing strips on prescription.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Most type 2s in my area do not get them,
even if buying own meter most arent given strips so its worth buying a meter and getting strips online

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have lots of different meters but have to use codefree as I cant get strips on prescription I got some 12 months ago and the GP said I had to make them last a long long time I just put in a repeat request but havent got any BOO HOO
CAROL

dave1961

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Think my doctors practise must be a good one then, I had 2x 50 (100 tests) cartridges for the accu chek mobile BG monitor, went to the chemist to collect new pills and found they had prescribed another 8x50 (400 tests) cartridges and needles, tried to give back to surgery / chemist said they could not accept them other than to be destroyed, I mean it's stupid waste of money from the Nhs point of view, they have a long shelf life 12/14 - 04/15 & 05/15.