puzzled !

jshire

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Serum folate deficiency - folic acid defiency can lead to depression, exhaustion and a range of neurological symptoms. It is normally found in green vegetables and cereals!!! Mmmmm looking hopeful but as I said before I'm no doctor! I would be back at that GPs like a shot!!!! Sue xxxx

well, as i'm not a big green veg fan perhaps I should start taking a supplement ? Anyone got any suggestions for what I should look out for when choosing from the various brands / strengths etc ? Actually while i'm on that, its also been suggested that I take omega 3 (as I don't eat oily fish) & also Vit B compound - any thoughts ? thanks

M

mrspuddleduck

My only spanner in the works - you need to have those bloods repeated before you start taking any supplements. 2014 was too long ago to provide any kind of accurate guide!! Sue xxx

Reactions: 5 people

jshire

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
My only spanner in the works - you need to have those bloods repeated before you start taking any supplements. 2014 was too long ago to provide any kind of accurate guide!! Sue xxx

I have had tests since & the doc said my levels were returning to normal. My HBa1c thing still is 36

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
well, I have to admit I didn't go through each one & look up online whether its better to have a high or low level with each - I kind of thought my doctor would know that & spot anything worth mentioning !
Unfortunately we can't always rely on doctors to do this. The B12 and Folate deficiencies jumped out at me because I am famiiar with those. Perhaps others who are familiar with the other things can check those ones.

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
well, as i'm not a big green veg fan perhaps I should start taking a supplement ? Anyone got any suggestions for what I should look out for when choosing from the various brands / strengths etc ? Actually while i'm on that, its also been suggested that I take omega 3 (as I don't eat oily fish) & also Vit B compound - any thoughts ? thanks
In NZ, Folate is available on prescription, so I just went with that option. I think your first step is to review what your most recent test result says, then talk to your doctor (current or new) and go from there.

Reactions: 2 people

jshire

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
In NZ, Folate is available on prescription, so I just went with that option. I think your first step is to review what your most recent test result says, then talk to your doctor (current or new) and go from there.

thanks again folks. It'll take me a couple of weeks to get another appointment at my doc - or rather to dare to ask for one ! I think he was a bit fed up with me last time. I'll then see if he'll agree to give me some more blood tests. I actually can't remember when I had them done most recently - but i'm sure it was this year at least.

On another point & I know this is probably quite complex but can I ask a question about sugar / glucose levels etc. ? I have to admit that my head is swimming from reading through various websites on all this but I thought it might be an idea to see of a simple change to my evening eating / drinking pattern would effect how I feel first thing the next morning. Is there anything you folks do that alters various levels & therefore effects your mood the next day ? I tend to eat an evening meal around 6-7pm - smallish portions, carbs tend to be there in the shape of pasta or rice or potatoes & some meat, usually chicken. I drink orange juice or a can of coca-cola for a treat. Then that's it - nothing else before I go to sleep. I know its much more complex than this but do folks who know about various levels & the effects have a suggestion for something simple to try to see if there's any effect when I wake up ? sorry if that's a daft question.