Puzzled

Kelly53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I just had my annual diabetic appointment with the practice nurse, I was diagnosed type 2 three years ago, Shortly after being diagnosed (8 Months) had a follow up appointment with doctor who said because of my wheight loss and fitness regime my readings are all at the level a non diabetic would be "keep up the good work".
Back to now and the nurse she informs me that despite maintaining my levels at norm with diet and exercise for three years I may be put on the lowest dose of meteformin as a preventative ?, anyone else had this happen.
Dont see if I am doing fine the way i'm going that I need meteformin.
What do you guys think.

C

catherinecherub

She needs to discuss with you what benefits you will gain from Metformin and what she considers are it's preventative properties so that you can make an informed choice. The choice has to be yours as opposed to hers.

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive never heard thst before myself. What was your last HbA1c result as if you are able to maibtain it under 40 without medixlcation what would be the point really. I wiuld personally sit down and have a good discussion with the nurse about the need for the medication, if you decide to go on medication for preventative purposes that is fine just make sure you are making an informed choice.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Metformin is also a good preventative against the risk of cardiovascular disease and it also protects the kidneys, which is why I now take one per day, after refusing them for a few years. It does have many benefits apart from the most obvious use (and I don't think it's much good at that!), maybe have a look at some of the research online?

Reactions: 4 people

Kelly53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi yes my HbA1c has been 39 except once when it was 4, I think it's probably to help with heart and kidneys although touch wood both are fine at the moment.
Thank youall for your help and have a very happy Christmas.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
You too Kelly:)