Question about bsl ...

Rox000

My daughter is t1 19yrs old non verbal with autism. I am noticing that as her blood sugars are trending lower she seems unwell..yawning no energy...very unusual for her and just generally flat in mood. As i rely on my observation skills only to assess her it can get quite hard to know what maybe going on with her.
So i phone the diabetic nurse for a chat about this. She states that her brain thinks its having a hypo and as she is not yet used to having such lower sugar readings this is quite normal.
Has anyone got any views on this? I want my daughter back to her happy self. Seeing her this way is upsetting..Do i just wait it out or panic??
Has anyone experienced these symptoms before because of sugar level adjustments?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Rox000, you said you use your observational skills, does this mean you can't test your daughter's blood, due to her autism?

Your daughter seems to be suffering from false hypos, as her body has been used to high levels and will take time to get used to lower ones. Many people feel tired, due to low blood sugars, in fact if I feel like closing my eyes while watching tv, I always check my blood in case I'm hypo, rather than just tired.

This will get better once your daughter's diabetes becomes fully stabilised. I just hope she/you will be able to test her blood regularly, as this is important for good diabetic control in the future.

Rox000

Hi dancer yes i do bsl on her if anything i am over zealous in checking because if i dont see her acting her normal self i need to try and fix that. I was referring to observing her overall as she is not consistent in telling me how she feels.
thanks for your reply. I wonder how long this adjustment takes?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi @Rox000

thanks for your reply to @dancer ( helpful feedback )

BG meters are very good and I suppose as T1D's we rely on them to be accurate -- so .......if you are seeing what your daughter "seems" like , yet getting a BG test of over 4.7 or so -- then you can be confident it isn't the BG in question --

but another hugely massive point to be aware of -- every one of us T1's are different -- we share loads of things symptom wise etc -- but for you and your daughter -- it is ( unfortunately ) a learning curve -- i promise it will get a bit easier in time -- and I know it doesn't seem like it currently
sending a big hug [[[hug]]]