Question about ketones and Type2 diabetes

nakkila

Hi, I have a silly question to ask but to fair I'm quite new to this!

I was diagnosed a few months ago with what they suspect is type1 diabetes. I was well at diagnosis with no obvious symptoms and it all came from routine doctors check. Also later on my antibodies came back negative so all very unclear.

I obviously had a high blood sugar at diagnosis, and ketones of 1.5-2 or something like that. Well the question is that do Type2's ever get ketones at ALL?? Everyone's just saying that they rarely go to ketoacidosis but do they get like actual ketones ever? (or is it just type1 thing??)
I'm confused as I haven't got any proper answers, and I was so well at diagnosis that I never in a million years would have thought anything like this was coming. all other type1s I know were so symptomatic. I also have a type2 grandmother who has never been overweight

Mrwookie75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My wife has type 2 her blood glucose is always between 12 and 20 she has ketones allways between 2-4 has since she was diagnosed a couple of years ago, she’s on 2000mg metformin 160mg glicazide a day and 2mg bydurion injection once a week

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I obviously had a high blood sugar at diagnosis, and ketones of 1.5-2 or something like that. Well the question is that do Type2's ever get ketones at ALL??

If they are following a ketogenic way of eating then yes it is possible to have ketones with T2 although you wouldn't expect them to have high blood sugars along with them.

Do you know what your HbA1c or finger prick blood glucose level was when you were diagnosed?

nakkila

I don't know about glucose level because it was taken on several different occasion (one in the evening at A&E was 17something, then next day I went to hospital after a porridge breakfast and it was 20something)
but my hba1c was 130 14 % at diagnosis (then 10 weeks later down to 6.5% thank god !!)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My wife has type 2 her blood glucose is always between 12 and 20 she has ketones allways between 2-4 has since she was diagnosed a couple of years ago, she’s on 2000mg metformin 160mg glicazide a day and 2mg bydurion injection once a week

That's very high blood sugar levels for someone on so much medication.. what does she eat mainly?