Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi guys,

Have a quick question. I've had my Lantus delivered twice recently and on both occasions, it was not cold when delivered. It wasn't warm either, it just felt tepid. My pharmacy is not far so it won't have been out more than 1 hour. I am aware that once out of the fridge, insulin keeps for 28 days. I'm not sure what happens if it's just an hour or so and you refrigerate it as soon as you get it.

I've noticed that despite eating loads of **** lately as my mental health has been awful and I am under massive amounts of stress (Nearly lost my job due to being managed out because of my diabetes, being kicked out of my house in 8 weeks and can't find anywhere that will take a cat, and 2 family bereavements in the space of a week), my blood sugars are being a bit weird and I've noticed my Lantus is dropping me more than usual - can this be due to it being left out and it's unstable? Surely if insulin is unstable your sugars would be higher as it's not as potent?

It would make no sense anyway as the pack I am on was only delivered 2 weeks ago so it should still be in the 28 days even if it was in a van for an hour unchilled.

Is it more likely it is due to stress? I've eaten loads of chocolate today and barely been testing (I know, I'm bad), I fully expected my levels to be up in the 20s today but I just tested and I'm at 14. I've lost about 6lbs. Friday I woke up having my first hypo in about 6 months, was just below 4. It was a slow overnight drop so wasn't too grim.

Saturday I ate 2 Krispy Kreme donuts over the space of 6 hours, I don't think I injected because I had a row with my mum and I was really upset and worried I would go hypo, and my blood sugar only went from 13 to 15.

Sunday I was high but I did reduce my Lantus to 31 units, didn't eat much at all and was hovering around 17-20, then it dropped all the way down to 10 overnight just from basal. I have been packing/moving around more than usual and ate chocolate for dinner last night not gonna lie. I know my diabetes management at the moment has been awful, I am so depressed and anxious I am struggling to cope. I have taken 35-37 units of Lantus every night for years and never had this issue before. I also recently finished a period and do find that insulin resistance goes a bit mental right before and during hormones.

I've probably been skipping meals more often and not even noticed, eating dinner much earlier all week too and not eating for 10-12 hours sometimes.

Just to clarify, my main question is - if insulin is left out for an hour, is it safe to keep using as normal beyond 28 days, and if it did go bad, would the effects be less potency or more potent? For example, 5 vials in 1 pack of Lantus. 1 vial lasts me about 10 days, is it safe to use the entire pack which would be stored for more than 28 days?

Last edited:

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Most insulin will be OK for 28days out if the fridge so long as it doesn't get really hot..

Just pop it in the fridge it should be ok

Don't forget you don't keep it in the fridge when it's in use so an hour or 2 won't make a difference

I've used insulin that been out of the fridge 2 or 3 months and it still OK... Maybe just not quite as effective

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My insulin spends far longer than an hour out of the fridge.
Do you keep it in the fridge when you start a pen/cartridge?
The advice is not to inject direct from the fridge as it can sting so most people keep their acting pen out of the fridge.

When I travel, I always take at least one spare cartridge which can be out of the fridge for more than a week. When I get home, an unopened cartridge will return to the fridge with no problems.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

Have a quick question. I've had my Lantus delivered twice recently and on both occasions, it was not cold when delivered. It wasn't warm either, it just felt tepid. My pharmacy is not far so it won't have been out more than 1 hour. I am aware that once out of the fridge, insulin keeps for 28 days. I'm not sure what happens if it's just an hour or so and you refrigerate it as soon as you get it.

I've noticed that despite eating loads of **** lately as my mental health has been awful and I am under massive amounts of stress (Nearly lost my job due to being managed out because of my diabetes, being kicked out of my house in 8 weeks and can't find anywhere that will take a cat, and 2 family bereavements in the space of a week), my blood sugars are being a bit weird and I've noticed my Lantus is dropping me more than usual - can this be due to it being left out and it's unstable? Surely if insulin is unstable your sugars would be higher as it's not as potent?

It would make no sense anyway as the pack I am on was only delivered 2 weeks ago so it should still be in the 28 days even if it was in a van for an hour unchilled.

Is it more likely it is due to stress? I've eaten loads of chocolate today and barely been testing (I know, I'm bad), I fully expected my levels to be up in the 20s today but I just tested and I'm at 14. I've lost about 6lbs. Friday I woke up having my first hypo in about 6 months, was just below 4. It was a slow overnight drop so wasn't too grim.

Saturday I ate 2 Krispy Kreme donuts over the space of 6 hours, I don't think I injected because I had a row with my mum and I was really upset and worried I would go hypo, and my blood sugar only went from 13 to 15.

Sunday I was high but I did reduce my Lantus to 31 units, didn't eat much at all and was hovering around 17-20, then it dropped all the way down to 10 overnight just from basal. I have been packing/moving around more than usual and ate chocolate for dinner last night not gonna lie. I know my diabetes management at the moment has been awful, I am so depressed and anxious I am struggling to cope. I have taken 35-37 units of Lantus every night for years and never had this issue before. I also recently finished a period and do find that insulin resistance goes a bit mental right before and during hormones.

I've probably been skipping meals more often and not even noticed, eating dinner much earlier all week too and not eating for 10-12 hours sometimes.

Just to clarify, my main question is - if insulin is left out for an hour, is it safe to keep using as normal beyond 28 days, and if it did go bad, would the effects be less potency or more potent? For example, 5 vials in 1 pack of Lantus. 1 vial lasts me about 10 days, is it safe to use the entire pack which would be stored for more than 28 days?

Hi,

Sorry fort your bereavements & run of unfortunate circumstances of late.

The Lantus would most likely be losing potency if spoiled.
If the box & indeed the bag it came in felt tepid to the touch & wasn't "cooked?" The cartridges in their protective tear off casing may well have been marginally cooler from the fridge storage.

Best wishes.