Question about Metformin

Melbel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The blood tests were all done at the end of October when I had an appointment because I was constantly feeling unwell.

I had repeat tests on my blood sugar in mid Nov as they came back raised then i had the two hour fasting test after that and was diagnosed with T2D on the 1st Dec.

Just thought I'd mention the time line of how it all happened.

Reactions: Freema

xtessa1x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been type 2 for 3 years and was put on metformin 1 tablet 2x a day so don't worry too much also try the low carb diet for weight loss as low carb also helps you control blood glucose. Good luck

Reactions: Melbel

ukuleleplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cold, wet weather.
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I will find out what my levels were, I think I was too scared to face it at first, now I'm getting my head round it all and want to know the ins & outs.

My GP is a little blasé, she said not to worry about it and look at it as a good thing (as in changing my lifestyle and losing weight)

There was talk of not even being sure to put me on medication to begin with but then it was decided they would after the two hour fasting test.

I have been dieting since November (mainly low carb base dieting) and exercising regularly (swam 70 lengths today) and I'm losing weight.. In fact I feel the best I have in a while.

It was just the 1x metformin thing that has started playing on my mind as it seems the norm to up them.

I think I'd better make an appointment with the GP again or see if they've replaced the diabetic nurse yet.

This forum is great! I'm so glad I joined.
It sounds like you are not testing your blood sugar levels yourself(?). Well worth doing, albeit an additional cost. It will help you decide which aspects of a low carb, high fat diet, exercise regime etc are working for you. We're all different.
You'll realise I'm sure, you are among friends here.
Good luck.

satkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was on one metformin 500mg a day. After 9 months of a low carb diet and some exercise I was taken off metformin. I have a blood test coming up at the beginning of Feb but from what my meter tells me my a1c should only be up a few points from the 5.3 it was in October.

Now my mother in law has had her metformin increased over the last few years to 2000mg a day. She also doesn't follow lchf diet and while she does walk a lot she still over eats. Her doc also wants to put her on other drugs that help make more insulin.

Now I'm not saying I'm cured and I may have to go back on metformin some day. But for me I am able to control my condition and feel a whole lot better. Now to get my high blood pressure and colestorol under control.

Good luck.

Melbel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all

Got my blood test results from October.

My cholesterol was 5.3

Liver function was 51

HBa1c result was 51 (it says repeat blood test and diabetes diagnosis underneath)

My Serum Testosterone level showed at 2.2 (raised)

And it said thyroid - normal, no treatment.

I haven't got the **** results from my glucose fasting test but I can ring up for that tomorrow.

Does the above result for my HBa1C make sense or shall I upload the print off of that section?

Satkins - that's great news.. Hopefully things will still be good in February. :)))

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As we all thought. An HbA1c of 51 shows you are only just over the diabetes threshold. (48 and above is diabetic) and the 2 hour OGGT showing 9.8 is actually non-diabetic. (11 is the cut off). I think the doctor may have been a bit concerned with the fasting of 7 which is exactly the cut off point between pre-diabetic and diabetic. So you are very borderline and in my opinion have very little to worry about.

With your figures, ignoring the PCOS, it is unusual to prescribe Metformin at all. I suspect he has prescribed it to help with the PCOS and weight loss (if that is an issue).. So to answer your original question, one tablet is quite sufficient. Please stop worrying about it!

If you cut down on starchy carbs and buy a glucose meter to help you decide which foods are causing your raised glucose, you will be fine. I believe this is essential, otherwise you have no idea what is causing it. Because different people react to the same food differently, eating to your meter is the best way to go. (along with a food diary)

Reactions: Freema

Melbel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh wow I'm so relieved now! Thanks for your reply bluetit. Everything makes more sense now.

I do definitely need to lose weight (probably around 3 stone) I've lost around one so far. Plus the doctor was concerned I carry a lot around my waist.

I'm really on it now, I've totally changed my lifestyle. I exercise daily and eat so much better than before.

So my next step is to buy a glucose metre.

I'm relieved I faced up to what was in those blood tests now.

Thank you all so much. This forum has been great, I've got somewhere to go now to keep learning.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many of us here use the Codefree meter because it has the cheapest strips. Many meters are given away free, but only because their replacement strips are extortionate, as is the case with many meters, so do be careful when chosing. You will need a lot of strips.

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

Pharmacies don't sell them. There are discount codes if you buy in bulk and don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free.

5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Reactions: Melbel