Question about night times

jpd123

Hi my sugar is always high in a morning between 10 -15 do people usually need more insulin during the night or less I tend to eat quite late due to work patterns. My sugar brill during the day just Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Dazza1984

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my sugar is always high in a morning between 10 -15 do people usually need more insulin during the night or less I tend to eat quite late due to work patterns. My sugar brill during the day just Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this

This is kinda related to what you eat the night before and your pre-bed BG. If your pre-bed BG is low then your liver is more likely to dump sugars into your blood during the night. You then experience the "Dawn Phenomenon." This spike can also occur after a hypo if you eat some sugary things; you fail to account for the response from your liver.

Experiment with things, so find out if there is a pattern between late night readings and then first thing readings. Also consider any slow-releasing sugars and fats. The latter slows the absorption of sugars into your blood.

D

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If it's okay when fasting then it might be that your i:c ratio is slightly out during the evening. Do you test before and after meals/snacks?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
so no dawn phenomenon observed then? not even a little?

it may well be that where you once didn't observe it you are now...........so best to do overnight basal testing to confirm anyway.........

if all is well, you need to look at carb ratio.....

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I try and test 4 hours after eating the carbohydrate and taking the insulin especially if its before bed to make sure I'm using the right ratio and to correct ASAP so I'm not running high all night.

Reactions: 2 people